Help essay on 'Women.. and stuff' (1 Viewer)

Maxsaw

hey guys im in year 11, and really need help. i just wanna get this essay over and done with but im having some problems so ANY help would be much appreciated :D.

the questions goes as:

'How effective are the legal and non legal responses in addressing the changing needs of women in Australia since 1901?'

some dot points on what to talk about would help or anything else in mind.

|<thxbye.

xBellex

Hmmmm...well I'm really dusting off the cobwebs here but you can't go wrong with the good old Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Use Austlii to take a closer look). After defining the changing role of women in the family, the workplace etc I'd talk chiefly about:
(i) Status of women: Concept of Unita Caro being abolished (although that ended with Married Women's Property act prior to 1901), um...concept of agency being abolished, franchise (esp. in NSW in 1902 methinks)
(ii) Employment and women: Glass cieling complex, refer to the affirmative action policies (it could possibly be the Affirmative Action (Equal Oppotunity for women) Act 1986 but this is alllll just from memory so don't quote me on it!). Also sexual harrassment (Jane Hill vs. Sydney Water Commission >>> Good case study)

Also I'd refer to AVOs and their effectiveness and the concept of sexual abuse (Sex Discrimination Act).

Other than that I'm blank...HSC has taken over that memory space!! Hope it helps, anyway!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Wat TB do u use??? I use Heinmann and it covers it all including Legislation Cases etc...
- u cld talk abt antidisc leg
- voting rights
- right to own property
- workplace reforms etc... look it up in that book...its all there in 'repsonisivenes of the legal system ...i know coz i did one last week... any more q'z repy and i'll send u some info

becky_baby

Its a good idea to talk about the changing roles of women.. and dont forget to talk about Aboriginal women! Things such as:
- forced removal of indigneous people from their traditional land (talk about how they thought it would be beneficial and effective and fact was it wasnt)
- exploitation of indigenous workers
- breaking up of indigenous families
- women voting
- civic duties - serving on juries
- property ownership
- marriage
- battered womens syndrome
in your school text book (if u get one) get the legal and non legal responses out of that..
Hope i helped! Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)