Help! Fluctuating wireless speeds (1 Viewer)

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
I don't know whats causing this. I'm using channel 1, with nearby wireless all using channel 6. I've scanned neigbouring wireless networks using netstumbler to make sure I didn't miss anything with a hidden SSID. Browsing seems to be fine, goes at 54mbs, gaming drops to about 48mbs and file transferring is the worst, reaching a low of 24mbs-36mbs. I've updated my drivers for everthing, but still doesn't seem to be fixing the problem.

I get around 4-5 bars in signal strength.
Wireless Card: Intel Pro Wireless 3945 ABG
Wireless AP: DLink G604T.

Help! :(

sunny

meh.
HSC
54mbs is a theoretical maximum, not what you're meant to get.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
What he said.

I'm getting 36mbps now with full bars, 1 minute ago I was getting 54mbps, and 1 minute before than I was getting 48mbps. I haven't moved the laptop or done anything different in that time.

Your internet isn't even fast enough for changes in wireless speed like that to slow you down anyway.

MuffinMan

HSC
Seems a bit strange cause it's never done that before, stayed at 54mbs constantly for like 5 months or so.

imsickofyear12 said:
Your internet isn't even fast enough for changes in wireless speed like that to slow you down anyway.
I need it for the LAN, most of my stuff (music, software etc), is stored on another computer.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
MuffinMan said:
I need it for the LAN, most of my stuff (music, software etc), is stored on another computer.
Wireless speed still shouldn't be the problem. If it is going slow then it's probably because of the other computer and the network, not the wireless.

MuffinMan

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Wireless speed still shouldn't be the problem. If it is going slow then it's probably because of the other computer and the network, not the wireless.
theres only one other computer on my network, a desktop connected by ethernet?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
MuffinMan said:
theres only one other computer on my network, a desktop connected by ethernet?
How slow is it transferring over the network? Wireless is variable and it only goes so fast... so even if it is the wireless there is nothing you can really do.

MuffinMan

HSC
Playing games that I've installed through the desktop lags every like minute (freezes for like 5 secs). I would just use my ethernet connection but the thing is, I'm still in my bed lol. So does everyone else's wireless fluctuate? I've only seen this happen once before, on someone elses unsecured wireless network, which was pretty far (only got 1-2 bars) and even that only dropped down to 36.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
MuffinMan said:
Playing games that I've installed through the desktop lags every like minute (freezes for like 5 secs). I would just use my ethernet connection but the thing is, I'm still in my bed lol. So does everyone else's wireless fluctuate? I've only seen this happen once before, on someone elses unsecured wireless network, which was pretty far (only got 1-2 bars) and even that only dropped down to 36.
You shouldn't play games installed through the desktop.

MuffinMan

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
You shouldn't play games installed through the desktop.
uh why?
i have the second partition wholly shared, not the root windows drive cause I'm not that stupid. I only did that cause the graphics card doesn't support opengl (vista + 9250 don't match) so I'm using it on my xp machine. So my wireless card is not stuffed up right? I've only had this notebook since late december. Lol, I don't even know how to replace the wireless card even if it broke. :-/

iamsickofyear12

HSC
MuffinMan said:
uh why?
i have the second partition wholly shared, not the root windows drive cause I'm not that stupid. I only did that cause the graphics card doesn't support opengl (vista + 9250 don't match) so I'm using it on my xp machine. So my wireless card is not stuffed up right? I've only had this notebook since late december. Lol, I don't even know how to replace the wireless card even if it broke. :-/
You just shouldn't play games over a network like that... of course it is going to be slow.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the wireless card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)