Help for B ENG/Commerce (1 Viewer)

calvintcq

HSC
I will be doing first year B ENG/Commerce. I know that i have to do 5 compulsory subjects and three Year 1 Electives totalling 18UOC. Any suggestions to which 3 electives should i take? Is it a good idea to take a commerce subject as a first year elective or just concentrate on engineering subjects?
The first year electives webpage is down ):
http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/rules/elective.htm
Any help would be appreciated :)

KD

HSC
N/A

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
first year first semester you should do math1131, phys1121, engg1000, and COMP1911 (instead of engg1811, you need comp1911 since you're doing mechatronics)

first year second semester you should do math1231, mman1300, MMAN1130, MATS1101.

the uppercase ones are the recommended electives.

then in second year you'll start on your commerce subjects.

Last edited:

calvintcq

HSC
Hmm.. is it a good idea to do math1141 and/or phys1131? How much harder is the subject?
I dont see alot of people doing those subjects :/ their classes look very lonely lol
Anyways, thanks for the help :D!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
you'd be in the same lectures, but different tutes.
you cover more material in the advanced classes than in the standard class.

you can do it if you want, make sure you're very good at it though!
I think you'll get scaled up if you do the advanced ones, but not 100% sure.

chantszhin

HSC
Im kinda confused doing mechatronics/comm =/
I was wondering if this is the timetable you're suppose to follow? Why does it say yr2 start..
http://www.mech.unsw.edu.au/content/userDocs/BEBCom-Mechatronic.pdf
Some help please? =]
I'm doing mech/comm
I emailed the uni about doing comm subjects in first year. They say you're allowed to but they suggest you do alll engineering in first year. So now i'm currently enrolled in Acct1501 and still considering whether or not to change it to engg1000

cd285

HSC
thought this might be of help to others in similar dilemma,

To whom it may concern, (unsw mech. faculty)

As a first-year undergraduate entering this course, I am confused as to what subjects I am meant to be undertaking. The online handbook says that I must do the core engineering subjects + 3 first-year electives whereas the program outlined on the faculty website suggests that I do one commerce subject in each semester. My question is which guide should I be following in choosing my subjects?

their reply:
My strong suggestion is that you follow the BE/BCom plan outlined on this School's website at
www.mech.unsw.edu.au/content/userDocs/BEBCom-Mechanical.pdf
We look forward to seeing you here.</SPAN>

smruthi.s

HSC
guys im planning to do eng/comm too. with choosing the higher level maths/physics - it says for mechanical/mechatronic/comp eng high level maths/physics is recommended - it was in this booklet they sent out from the uni! If u got more than 175 combined total for ext1/2 maths then u should be doing higher levels. also i went on acadmic advising day and they were like looking at the link that someone posted above- and they said u can technically do anything u want in the first 2 semesters considering u have to have done a prerequisite for any other subjects. so i didnt choose engg1000, instead i chose acct....blah blah. and then i chose higher level maths/physics and comp1911. also many of my friends who are doing engg1000 found that ALL of their timetables had engg1000 clashign with soemthing else! so check that out as well! so yeh - its upto u!

smruthi.s

HSC
btw u need to do 24 UOC! and classes werent empty for higher level maths/physics coz when i was doing it they were 90% full. :) and they do get scaled if u do higher maths/physics just like old school! :)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone cofirm the scaling thing? Cause I got 183 combined score ext1/ext2 and enrolled in 1131 thinking that both the courses cover the same stuff but 1141 has extra stuff.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
It doesn't really matter what you do. Scaling is in the sense, considering the fact you're doing 'higher' instead of normal math.

cd285

HSC
what 'extra benefit' comes out of doing maths rather than 1131. i mean yeah the scaling is better in 1141, so what? we're not exactly trying to get a higher atar here. someone please enlighten me, and excuse my naivety. thanks

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
no benefit other than satisfying further curiosity in the subject of mathematics.

xFusion

HSC
I guess im doing ENGG1000 in 1st sem instead of ACCT1501 unless lectures/tuts free up for ACCT 1501 :angry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)