Help for Imaginative Journey Speech! (1 Viewer)

Dancin Diva 06

HSC
Hi everyone, :wave:

For HSC Advanced English, our first assessable item is a 5 minute speech on our understanding and thoughts about Imaginative Journeys.

We have to include our close study (The Tempest), 1 text from the stimulus booklet (The town where time stands still) and a text of our own (Chronicles of Narnia - Movie version).

I already have a thesis but don't really know how to construct the speech and fit all the information in within 5 minutes!

Any halp would be great!

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:

twilight1412

HSC
well jess you if that is you ... you should analyse both your texts and then link and show comparison between them.....

you got 2 hours

goosiegoo

HSC
You'd probably want to go something along the lines of..
Your thesis statement first.. which would be the general 'what you've learnt about journey'
Then go into your texts.. making sure you relate all those texts to your thesis statement.. and making sure you relate all those texts to each other..
And when you've done them all.. a conclusion!
Hehe.. that's just the general idea l'm going by..

As for fitting it into 5 minutes.. that's really hard.. i suppose you'll just have to make sure you take advantage of every second.. and don't rant. Hehe.

fadilla.tombe

HSC
Hi every one.sorry for not paticipated in any dicussion thies weeks. i was very busy with my assessment. obviously i have little problems with my english essay. any will i will try to solve it this week. my assessment is about journey.
may be will not appear this week.
Wish me all the best.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Five minutes is actually a fairly long time to talk about three texts.

Depending on how quickly you speak, you should be able to fit around 1500 words into your speech.

I'd stick to a general essay format, with bits at the beginning and the end formulating a speech format. In your introduction, explain "what you've learned" and introduce each of your texts. Spend a little more time analysing your core text, as that's what your teacher will want to hear about. That said, don't cut back too much on your supplementary and particularly your stimulus text. Your conclusion should be about as long as your introduction, bringing together all the ideas you've discussed.

Also, try to find good journey connections between each of your texts, not only to create a nice flow (which is essential, particularly for speeches), but also to assist in formulating a good thesis statement.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Sam. said:
Five minutes is actually a fairly long time to talk about three texts.

Depending on how quickly you speak, you should be able to fit around 1500 words into your speech.

I'd stick to a general essay format, with bits at the beginning and the end formulating a speech format. In your introduction, explain "what you've learned" and introduce each of your texts. Spend a little more time analysing your core text, as that's what your teacher will want to hear about. That said, don't cut back too much on your supplementary and particularly your stimulus text. Your conclusion should be about as long as your introduction, bringing together all the ideas you've discussed.

Also, try to find good journey connections between each of your texts, not only to create a nice flow (which is essential, particularly for speeches), but also to assist in formulating a good thesis statement.

1500 words = 0 marks for clarity

more like 1000 words

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Actually seriously more like 800 words?

Wtf 1500 words you'd be very rushed in articulation. 800 words so you can vary your pitch and tone, emphasise certain points, maybe even pause at the more significant issues within your 'essay'. If you just memorise and ramble on in a monotone for 5mins on a 1000 word essay it can get tedious.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Kid in my year usually had 1400 to 1500 words in his speeches; full marks every time and it never seemed rushed. It just depends on the speaker.

pomme17

HSC
hey jess,
im actually doing the same assessment task right now, except that my speech does not have to be related to any other texts, it is purely 'The Tempest'.
I have found that linking every point or quote to the topic question has been useful and articulating ideas and original thoughts can really boost the marks. Try not to plaguerise too much as the teachers will have quotes from popular internet sites and will be looking to see how much independent research (books and class notes) the student has done.
As for fitting it into 5 minutes, well you'll just have to segment and fine-tune it to what you believe is most relevant.
Good luck
Josh

spitball

HSC
OMG HARRIS!!!111111111111111111111111111

hi!!!!111111111111111111111 it's meeeeeeeeeeeeeee hey
mars has boobs
you're a nerd
bye

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)