Help for IP Movement Performance (1 Viewer)

emeraleyed

HSC
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me with a few things. Im doing a movement based piece for my IP performance but im not sure whether the entire piece can be movement. At first, I was considering not having dialogue at all but then i figured the markers might think it was a dance piece (like for the Dance subject). Does anybody know if there are any specific requirements for creating a movement piece?
thanx

HSC
not that know of.
what is peice about?
i think a movement peice would interesting. but i dont know if it would work with the markers. dose it have somesort of story line? how does it work?

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
emeraleyed said:
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could help me with a few things. Im doing a movement based piece for my IP performance but im not sure whether the entire piece can be movement. At first, I was considering not having dialogue at all but then i figured the markers might think it was a dance piece (like for the Dance subject). Does anybody know if there are any specific requirements for creating a movement piece?
thanx

WOAH WOOOOAHAHHAHA WOAH.

No go. Don't do this. An entire IP cannot be movement. It's a serious no go zone. It is supposed to be a scripted performance (as stated in the Outcomes...please refer to these more in detail on Pages 22 and 24 on the following link http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/drama_syl.pdf) that demonstrates the actor-audience relationship and it is a demonstration of your ability to manipulate and perform theatrical styles.

It seems that you may be confused over the boundaries of dance and drama. It is fine having a piece that has a great deal of movement, and it is the movement that is more important that the dialogue itself. However, do not...do an entire movement piece. You won't be addressing so many different criteria that you will be marked on.

If you were to do a movement piece, with little to no dialogue the markers will just ask, why didn't you do dance. Sure, your movement piece might tell a story or give a message...but that is what the subject dance is for. There are many other elements to consider than just movement because the IP is a culmination of two years of work. I'm sure in class you would of explore movement and its importance when performing but you cannot be so ignorant to disregard other performance elements such a voice, your ability to craft a script, the ability to convey a message or a story through performance, your knowledge and respect of theatrical styles and your ability to forge a actor-audience relationship.

Your answer to your question is right there.
"Actor-Audience Relationship".

Not dancer.

I have seen two IPs in my time that have had a great deal of movement mainly all symbolic and interpretive of the script they are performing. There was one at OnStage in the late 90s. A girl did a piece about self-esteem and the workings and appearance of the body and she did some fantastic contortion stuff when telling her story about how her body just doesn't fit in society. That worked.

I also wonder...why hasn't your teacher warned you about this?

Pierotte

HSC
emeraleyed said:
thanx
i agree with skillo

also ur marked on how u use ur voice... so you luck out there. steer clear! :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
movement pieces can be cool, but for the sake of your mark, put some dialogue in it. i have seen some all mime peices done at my school, and they were good, but they were group pieces, very simple, clear message etc. unless you are really really good at miming it could be hard for you to show the audience your purpose. good luck though :p

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
I agree with Skillo as well that you cannot simply perform a dance, however, i have seen a few movement pieces that didn't include dialogue and one in particular that got full marks, so as long as your piece has clear dramatic meaning, focus, tension integrity, etc., it can still achieve high marks without dialogue.

However, you will probably be able to achieve the above criteria more easily with the use of dialogue to make it more clear what you are trying to convey, even if the words are minimal.

The girl i mentioned who got full marks used some narration over her movement piece, and a little music, but the rest was simply movement. She did it based on the apple, the story of eve and of snow white. Because she had clarity and a good structure, the examiners saw the meaning behind it, saw that it was original and well rehearsed, and thus had no choice than to give it full marks.

If you are sure you can do it well, go for it, otherwise, choose carefully.

xx

emeraleyed

HSC
thankyou guys

hey thanx so much for replying. i now see what i need to fix. i should have included, i am a dance student so yeh i have sort of gotten ispiration from what i have done previously. Since my half yearlies, last term, i became a bit inspired to incorporate Absurdist Theatre, little problem, i studied Waiting for Godot and thats where i wanted to take the inspiration from. you cant use texts that youve studied this year can you?

Skillo, you said you saw a ip performance where a girl used her body as a motif for self-esteem. thats very simliar to my ideas. my character is a young person
whos caught up in the realities of the world. sort of using The Glass Menagerie as my initial material ideas.

i wanted to do a movement piece because i didnt think my acting was strong enough. but i just got back my assessment marks for a performance i did last term and i actually didnt do bad at all.

Skillo also, my teacher actually didnt say what boundaries there were, i think she assumed that i would use dialogue, but i dont know where i can get it from. do i have to write my own script? im at such a dead end right now, i truly believe i didnt have a strong enough concept in the beginning.

hope to hear from you guys soon
thanx again xox

HSC
you dont have to write your own script if you could find one you like. i couldnt find one i liked so i am making my own but its up to you. if you already have a direction with your movenment then maybe you can write something to do with that so you can use what you have already done.

good luck :) let us know how you go

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
emeraleyed said:
hey thanx so much for replying. i now see what i need to fix. i should have included, i am a dance student so yeh i have sort of gotten ispiration from what i have done previously. Since my half yearlies, last term, i became a bit inspired to incorporate Absurdist Theatre, little problem, i studied Waiting for Godot and thats where i wanted to take the inspiration from. you cant use texts that youve studied this year can you?

Skillo, you said you saw a ip performance where a girl used her body as a motif for self-esteem. thats very simliar to my ideas. my character is a young person
whos caught up in the realities of the world. sort of using The Glass Menagerie as my initial material ideas.

i wanted to do a movement piece because i didnt think my acting was strong enough. but i just got back my assessment marks for a performance i did last term and i actually didnt do bad at all.

Skillo also, my teacher actually didnt say what boundaries there were, i think she assumed that i would use dialogue, but i dont know where i can get it from. do i have to write my own script? im at such a dead end right now, i truly believe i didnt have a strong enough concept in the beginning.

hope to hear from you guys soon
thanx again xox

If you believe that you have a strong concept (As you stated) then you can write a script to suit. Firstly, you need to find three points. Where you start, and what is your destination for the script. Did you want a narrative, a moral based story...or an evolution of an entire species!?! Your third point is a climax or the meat of the story etc.

You really have to explain more in detail what your concept is (you can PM me if you feel uncomfortable posting it) for me to make any kind of suggestion. From what you mentioned, there is some beautiful absurd dialogue you could come up with based on a young girl 'getting caught up in the realities of the world'. Read a bit more Absurdist theatre and get the jist of how playwrights wrote. It may help.
You also mentioned that you were inspired by The Glass Menagerie. Is there any text from that play that you could use? Remember that text/dialogue for an IP doesn't need to be straight from a play, it can be interpreted and adapted...moulded to your piece ultimately. The best IPs are created this way.

Or is there any text that inspires you to write your own? If you are not a great writer, you can always people for help.

Whatever you end up doing, don't be afraid to keep on asking questions. I'm here to ask them, and sometimes I might not be able to. But you must get a wriggle on! GPs will be getting started this term and will take up a considerable amount of classtime.

Also , I should probably cover my tracks here. In drama, there are no boundaries really, its a tangible subject to suit some 6000 kids own individual expression. The concept of movement being your IP can be done...there is never a NO in drama. However I just think that it is a bad decision, this is merely my personal opinion and I think many would agree.

It might be worth searching for the piece I mentioned...It was post 1997 Onstage...I don't even know if there was an onstage back then! I just remember watching it on video.

emeraleyed

HSC
thankyou

thankyou, ill be sure to keep that in mind! for now im going to work on finding some more scripts that i can work with.
thanks

jaihson

HSC
When I went o regional drama camp a senior marker for drama came down from Sydney and gave us a lecture on the Individual project. For performance she said that it did not necessarily have to be a monologue, and she even suggested that you could do a bunch of circus tricks. Remember that there are many types of drama, and it is called the Individual "Performance" and not "monologue" for a reason.
To disagree Skillo's comment earlier, I believe that you can effectively demonstrate the actor-audience relationship and your ability to perform and manipulate theatrical styles. There was a play done up at the Opera House i think, a while ago in which there were no words and it was a complete movement piece in which everyone walked away with a different interpretation of what the story was.
However, I wouldnt be inclined to go with the movement piece, unless its pretty damn good. Make sure u can satisfy all the criteria outlined in the syllabus.

Last edited:

emeraleyed

HSC
thanks

hey i just wanted to say thankyou to everyone who posted help for me and my ip.
im still doing a movement piece but dialogue is included. i dewelled on it for so long and it was until about july that it actually came together.
so thanks again and goodluck to you too in hsc or uni or whatever :)

lyndell002

HSC
hey
i saw sum top achieving drama performances from the hsc just gone- and one was a mime. it was FANTASTIC! no dialogue apart from a few 'oos' and 'ahhs' but it wasnt like a dance- it was movement- cuz they'll see a difference wen they watch it. u cant do like steps and sequences, ur movement really has 2 b natural and tell a dramatic story.
hopes this helps xxx

emeraleyed

HSC
hi lyndell002, thankyou for your reply.

i dont know if you saw when i actually first posted that question or not but i actually did my hsc drama last year.... hehe im a pathways student and 2005 was my first year of year 12 and 2006 is my second year... however if you're doing ip performance and have any questions feel free to ask me as i can tell you all about the practical and theory of the drama hsc =)

goodluck!!

emeraleyed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)