Help for someone starting Mid-year? (1 Viewer)

hamm0ud

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

So yeah I'm starting computer science and I'm just wondering if there are any disadvantages of starting mid-year? Like will I miss out on any subjects or anything like that. Also, is there any way that I can do extra subjects over the summer or something to catch up?

Cheers

EDIT:

Any recommendations for a good elective? There's no point taking ENGG1000 as the "computing stream is not available in Semester 2". I'd prefer a math or computing subject if that's possible, in any case I'll do some more research into what's available but I thought I may as well ask you guys as well.

Thanks again! :D

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah, you may find that some subjects are only offered in sem 1 or sem 2 each year. But you could always just do them sem 1 next year :)

And i believe the option of summer school to catch up/accelerate is available ^^

Prosper

HSC
Hey guys,

So yeah I'm starting computer science and I'm just wondering if there are any disadvantages of starting mid-year? Like will I miss out on any subjects or anything like that. Also, is there any way that I can do extra subjects over the summer or something to catch up?

Cheers
Take MATH1231 and COMP1927 over summer and you should be up to a lot of where computer science students are who started first semester (you'll just be 2 elective subjects behind)

laluna

HSC
N/A
don't worry about starting mid year - you're not disadvantaged in any way. :)

like prosper said, you can always do some courses over summer and you'd only be 2 electives behind. i started in mid year too and did summer courses like prosper said, come 2nd year and all was fine.

you don't have to do summer courses - i had friends who started in mid year and didn't do summer courses, they just ended up shuffling their timetables a bit. it all depends on personal preference. :)

hamm0ud

HSC
N/A
Thanks heeps for the advice guys, REALLY helpful!!

LordPc

HSC
Take MATH1231 and COMP1927 over summer and you should be up to a lot of where computer science students are who started first semester (you'll just be 2 elective subjects behind)
if you take MATH1081 (discrete math) in your first semester, and take 1231 and 1927 over the summer, you will actually be exactly where your average comp sci student is by 2nd year

and you might be better off actually since electives outside of comp sci are pretty *yawn* imo. id rather have 2 extra computing electives

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)