HELP for yr11 Subject selection!! (1 Viewer)

TooSoon

HSC
Hi guys,

Im currently in year 10 and have about 4 more days to choose my subects for year 11 and 12.
Firstly, it seems as though a lot of people who pick more academic subjects like chem, physics, ext2 Math.... Expect high Atars. Is this true because I am looking to do 1 or 2 DT based subjects?

These are the subjects I currently have in mind:
Maths ext 1
English adv
Music 1
Economics (complements business ?)
Business studies (very interested)
Multimedia(design and tech)
Geography
Physics ( although I'm not that interested)

1. It would be great if you could comment on my choices, like scaling and difficulty and whatever you can say about it.
2. Your personal experiences.
3. DT, a good idea?

Atar goal : 95+
Career interests : Mainly business, airline management, property/ design. Mainly business.

Thanks for reading this. Even small input would be appreciated, and sorry if this isn't the right section.

enoilgam

HSC
I think one DT subject should be fine given your current combination and aim. Two might be a problem given your aim - but if you are confident that you can do very well in them then you should go for it.

TooSoon

HSC
Thanks for reply:)
The thing is I have only done IST IN YEAR 9 but not multimedia. Would it be a good idea to do it as a 14 th unit and drop something if I don't like it ?

enoilgam

HSC
Thanks for reply:)
The thing is I have only done IST IN YEAR 9 but not multimedia. Would it be a good idea to do it as a 14 th unit and drop something if I don't like it ?
I think it would - the idea with year 11 is to try many subjects out so you have more options heading into year 12.

TooSoon

HSC
Awesome, that makes things a lot easier. What do you think of my other choices ? Is it not academic enough ?

enoilgam

HSC
Awesome, that makes things a lot easier. What do you think of my other choices ? Is it not academic enough ?
If you think you can do well in them and have a liking for them, then you have made good choices imo.

TooSoon

HSC
Just for an idea . What kind of subjects would be an issue then ?

enoilgam

HSC
Multimedia and Music 1. Business studies to a lesser extent, but if you can get 90+ in it, then it shouldnt be a problem. On the whole, if you do very well in music 1 and multimedia, then the scaling shouldnt be an issue.

TooSoon

HSC
So economics and geo are good for scaling / atar lifters ?

enoilgam

HSC
Physics and economics are very good scalers, geography is slightly above average. MX1 is obviously the best scaler. But dont base your selections on scaling - scaling is only going to help you IF you do well in the subjects.

unLimitieDx

HSC
Economics are scaled high almost side by side or even better than physics

dsmcgrath

HSC
Should I be thinking about scaling ?
In my opinion, no.

Personally, I believe your best bet is to pick the subjects you would enjoy doing. If you pick subjects you like, its easier to remain motivated and therefore do better in the long term.

I am currently studying HSC Business Studies - fair warning, very little is applicable to real business situations from what I have found, and if you combine it with Economics (as I did in Year 11), you find it rather infuriating over time. The textbook we use Business Studies in Action descends into 'management-speak' quite often - you know, the stuff where they ramble on about 'synergy', and a large chunk of the course is about being ethically and environmentally responsible. Not trying to scare you off, or anything - but I found it very different to what I expected.

If you aren't interested in Physics, don't do it. Simple as that. Fuck how it scales, fuck how it influences your ATAR, fuck how it combines with MX1 rather well. If you aren't interested, you WILL NOT do well unless you're ridiculously motivated.

In my opinion, if you intend on going into a Business-based Uni degree, Economics is infinitely more useful than Business Studies - but that's my personal opinion.

So, yeah - do whatever you want to do as subjects. If you're committed and do well in them, you can get any ATAR with your subject combination.

TooSoon

HSC
Physics and economics are very good scalers, geography is slightly above average. MX1 is obviously the best scaler. But dont base your selections on scaling - scaling is only going to help you IF you do well in the subjects.
True , I'm probs not going to do Physics. Geo and economics probs.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Do economics, skip business and pick up 4u in year 12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)