Help!! General maths not being a thing anymore.. (1 Viewer)

isabella05

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and in advanced maths. Rather than doing maths standard, I remembered having general maths as an option in year 10. I've switched schools since then, and the syllabus for general maths no longer exists. I want to drop to general maths in year 12. Is there another name for this course, or does it still exist? And if it does, can you still go for an ATAR? Someone please help, I'm really confused and terrible at maths, and even looking at the standard syllabus it seems difficult and I don't need any mathematics prerequisites for uni.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Mathematics Standard 1 and Mathematics Standard 2 are what was previously known as Mathematics General 1 and Mathematics General 2. The latter were discontinued. If you are currently taking Mathematics Advanced, you will have the option to drop to Mathematics Standard.

Mathematics Standard 2 is a Category A subject, meaning it is a subject that contributes to your ATAR due to the fact that it has a compulsory HSC exam that needs to be completed in order to successfully complete the subject (which is the same for Mathematics Advanced, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2).

Mathematics Standard 1 is a Category B course, with an optional HSC exam (similar to subjects like English Studies). If you are taking 10 units in year 12, and choose not to sit the HSC exam for this subject, you will not be eligible for an ATAR. However, you may choose to sit the HSC exam for this subject, making you eligible for an ATAR, provided this is the only Category B subject that you're taking. Here's a diagram outlining this:

1632121658681.png

I hope this helps! 😄

quickoats

HSC
Standard Maths is just General Maths but with a name change. They added a statistics topic (quite basic) which will be helpful in your everyday life.
You have to go back to the early 2000s for the completely "different" maths in society/maths in practice courses.

specificagent1

HSC
maths standard 2 does not touch any of the calculus done in advance but still do some of the stats and probability done in advance

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
There has never been calculus in the standard / general / MiS courses going back nearly 40 years.

Remember, though, that with the alignment and common questions in Standard 2 and Advanced, they have greatly weakened the potential gains from doing standard and performing very very highly when a student is capable of Advanced.

quickoats

HSC
There has never been calculus in the standard / general / MiS courses going back nearly 40 years.

Remember, though, that with the alignment and common questions in Standard 2 and Advanced, they have greatly weakened the potential gains from doing standard and performing very very highly when a student is capable of Advanced.
I actually like how they’ve made the relationship a bit more like standard and advanced english

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
danielchen said:
heyo

I have always been terrible with maths. not motivated, hate the subject and usually average around 50% in maths. no fucking clue why i chose it. my mid-course assessments are tmrwand I'm expecting ~ 50% mark. I was wondering if it'd be worth dropping from adv maths down to standard or does standard reaaaaalllyy fuck you over with your atar

was aiming for a 85-90, but really only need an 80. doable if i drop to standard maths with these subjects?

adv eng
biology
pdphpe
legal
chem (may drop)
+ stand maths
Generally speaking, the effect presented by unfavourable scaling becomes less significant the better you are able to perform in a particular subject (in this case Mathematics Standard). You are also currently taking some good scaling subjects like English Advanced and Chemistry (that is, if you choose to keep it), meaning that you definitely have some form of balance between good scaling subjects and low scaling subjects. With that being said, you can achieve a high ATAR with any combination of subjects. This means that you are definitely able to achieve an ATAR between 80 and 90 with your proposed subject combination.

Regarding Mathematics Standard, students typically find this subject easier than Mathematics Advanced. Based on this, you may wish to consider giving Mathematics Standard a try. If you find that you have a higher ability to perform favourably in this subject compared to Mathematics Advanced then great! You should probably keep it as you progress through year 12. If not, you should probably reconsider your decision to drop Chemistry, which would allow you to keep 12 units and avoid the negative effect that unfavourable performance in Mathematics Standard or Mathematics Advanced would have on your ATAR.

Of course, it would also be good to have a look at the Mathematics Standard syllabus document and familiarise yourself with concepts/content covered in this subject, which will hopefully enable you to make an informed decision:

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)