• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help! Getting into medicine: (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Help!

I'm currently in year 11 taking maths extension (currently 2nd in school), english extension, english advanced (1st in school), modern history (1st in school), SOR II (first in school), and legal studies (3rd in school).

I was originally doing bio, chem and physics (liked them) but I dropped them at the start of the year because I'm a complete idiot and thought that doing humanities subjects that I knew I could ace would give me a better chance at a higher atar.

I anyways I really really want to do med (undergraduate at UNSW, if I get the umat), and want to know how to get the chemistry knowledge. I have a textbook and access to test papers so should I do the hsc chem course by myself? Even though the UNSW med program doesn't assume or recommend chemistry knowledge now (the new MD program).

Also, is medentry a good choice?

bangladesh

HSC
lol, what even are you asking? It's better to just focus on studying for umat/hsc now and worry about chemistry once you've finished year 12 and have an offer to study med.

Also, your subjects suit someone who would be pursuing law.. not medicine.. What made you think you'd do better in humanitarians than in sciences given that you were enjoying chem as you mentioned..

HSC
N/A
It's not even a recommended subject for the new MD med course at UNSW. But I do plan on studying the hsc course by myself to have the knowledge.

HSC
N/A
As I said, stupid stupid decision. I was worried I'd bomb out in chem because everyone was raving about how hard it was. Stupid decisions. We all make them.

HSC
N/A
As I said, stupid stupid decision. I was worried I'd bomb out in chem because everyone was raving about how hard it was. Stupid decisions. We all make them.

bangladesh

HSC
I suggest you focusing on getting IN medschool first before worrying about the fact that you're not doing chemistry.. ie maximising your hsc/umat mark by practising

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it too late to change back?

Keep in mind medicine anywhere is very competitive

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
A friend of mine is doing medicine at UNSW. He was saying you're not learning much medicine but working on other skills important in medicine. Apparently 3rd year is when it starts getting oosk

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Iirc, he did one term with matrix. Medentry was too expensive

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
you sorta need chem for Medicine.
No you don't. They'll teach you everything you'd need to know or at least cover it in a way that you can go off and do further self learning via textbooks. You're clearly not a medical student and know nothing about the courses. This has been covered extensively and repeatedly on BoS, so if you're not in the course (and this goes for other regulars here) please don't go about giving folks "advice" about what you haven't done.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
No you don't. They'll teach you everything you'd need to know or at least cover it in a way that you can go off and do further self learning via textbooks. You're clearly not a medical student and know nothing about the courses. This has been covered extensively and repeatedly on BoS, so if you're not in the course (and this goes for other regulars here) please don't go about giving folks "advice" about what you haven't done.
relax bro. Some previous exposure to it is good but having no knowledge of it is counterproductive. I think enigma_1 was just using his/her "common sense" and deduced that chemistry is somewhat needed in medicine

z5023909

HSC
Some basic knowledge of chemistry will definitely be useful, however it is pretty fundamental content you can definitely learn by yourself after HSC. Really all you need to know are basic concepts taught in year 11 chemistry such as for example different types of bonds such as covalent and ionic bonds and what not. Also, a lot of chemistry related terminology will pop up like 'solvent' and 'polymer' or something related but then again you'll get bombarded with so much new medical terminology it won't really make a difference anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)