Help Hamlet!! (1 Viewer)

AbeGettysburg

HSC
i need some help with writing about context and how it has influenced performances of hamlet. is this how it goes:

1. traditional revenge tragedy hero.
2. romantic period (coleridge) interpret hamlet as failing to act because of his profound intellectual life.
3. ??????? WHAT COMES NEXT

in terms of context what are the main interpretations throughout history?

i just can't seem to get my head around context.
any recommended readings would be helpful.

:confused: (and STRESSED)

Aimz- Lou.

Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are Dead is a transformation of Hamlet.
There has also been a Doctor Seuss transformation.
Look at dfferent mediums, eg- film, drama, comic strip, etc(I think there actually is a comic, produced by Osbourne books...) and examine the way in which the different mediums impact on the way in which the text is presented, because technology is another element of context, as is the manner in which a text is portrayed.
Look at the reasons WHY the text has been changed- for example stoppard's text R and G are dead was designed to develop two peripheral characters and reflects modern theories and conceprs- such as the probability theory that seven monkeys left to type on typewriters for a year could produce the entire works of Shakespeare.

I hope that helps.

Now a question for you- haven't you already done your HSC????

AbeGettysburg

HSC
hamlet context

musta made a mistake when registering - 00ps - too many late nights studying! sitting HSC exams 2005, definately not 2004!

thanks 4 ur reply. actually i understand about transformations etc.

i think the question i did wanted to know about different readings of hamlet eg. feminist, freud (opedius complex) etc.

what confused me was that after the initial interpretation of hamlet as a traditional revenge hero, came the view that he procrastinated because of his intellectual nature. this view came about during the growth of romantic thought during the 1700s and was led by the poet coleridge.

i understand that, what i wanted to know was what was the progression of thought after the 1700s.

i have studied different films of hamlet eg. laurence olivier, zeffereli, jacobi and branagh (that was great).

ith olivier's version he obviously cut out ros & gil and the political context of the play but why did he do this? to save time perhaps but how did his film reflect the context of the 1940s????

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
AbeGettysburg said:
musta made a mistake when registering - 00ps - too many late nights studying! sitting HSC exams 2005, definately not 2004!

thanks 4 ur reply. actually i understand about transformations etc.

i think the question i did wanted to know about different readings of hamlet eg. feminist, freud (opedius complex) etc.

what confused me was that after the initial interpretation of hamlet as a traditional revenge hero, came the view that he procrastinated because of his intellectual nature. this view came about during the growth of romantic thought during the 1700s and was led by the poet coleridge.

i understand that, what i wanted to know was what was the progression of thought after the 1700s.

i have studied different films of hamlet eg. laurence olivier, zeffereli, jacobi and branagh (that was great).

ith olivier's version he obviously cut out ros & gil and the political context of the play but why did he do this? to save time perhaps but how did his film reflect the context of the 1940s????
just remember the set text is the Cambridge version of the play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)