Help! Has anyone ever delayed their junior stats unit (STAT1021)? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm a first year, B. Social Sciences. This is what my timetable looks like:

Monday
FRNC1611 Lecture 10 – 11
LNGS1001 Lecture 12 – 1
FRNC1611 Tutorial 2 – 4

Tuesday
STAT1021 9 – 10

Wednesday
STAT1021 9 – 10
LNGS1001 Lecture 12 – 1
LNGS1001 Tutorial 1 – 2

Thursday
STAT1021 Lecture 9 – 10
STAT1021 Tutorial 12 – 1

Friday
STAT1021 Optional Tutorial 9 – 10
SSCI1003 Lecture 10 – 11
SSCI1003 Tutorial 12 - 1

In second semester, I’ve enrolled for the continuing junior units of French and Linguistics.

I desperately want to take two junior units of Sociology in Semester 1 and 2 (SCLG1001 and SCLG1002) this year, so that in second year I can choose Sociology or Linguistics senior units – I want to take one as my social sciences major and keep the other to fill up remaining Arts units. I love both subjects and it is impossible to choose between them because in my opinion they lead to completely different opportunities. I can't believe I haven't even started uni and I'm already distressed over subjects :(

So.. to solve this problem, what I want to do is delay my junior stats unit until first semester of second year (or third..or never, because it looks like the driest subject ever and I thought I would never have to do maths again after year 10), mainly so I can take all four Sociology and Linguistics junior units (as I obviously won't be able to take any senior units in either subjects if I haven't done the junior ones) but also so I can do a maths bridging course beforehand (I didn't have time this year because of work). I didn't do maths at all for the hsc and did terribly in the subject all throughout high school, I'm certain I would fail it or pass 'badly' if I were forced to take it now, especially since starting uni is so overwhelming in the first place with or without four nine'o'clock stats lectures in a row :/

So this is what I want my timetable to look like:

Monday
FRNC1611 Lecture 10 – 11
LNGS1001 Lecture 12 – 1
FRNC1611 Tutorial 2 – 4

Tuesday
SCLG1001 Lecture 9 - 10 or 2 - 3 *

Wednesday
LNGS1001 Lecture 12 – 1
LNGS1001 Tutorial 1 – 2

Thursday
SCLG1001 Lecture 9 - 10 or 2 - 3*

Friday
SSCI1003 Lecture 10 – 11
SSCI1003 Tutorial 12 - 1

+ the Sociology tutorial in there somewhere (could anyone doing this unit tell me when the tutorial(s) are?).

* the website says the subject is timetabled on "Tue 9-10 Eastern Avenue Auditorium or Tue 2-3 Carslaw Lecture Theatre 157 and Thur 9-10 Eastern Avenue Auditorium or Thur 2-3 Carslaw Lecture Theatre 157", the same for SSLG1002 in second semester. Can anyone confirm this - can you really choose between the two lectures??

If there is definitely one between 2-3 I could even try and take SCLG1001 at the same time as STAT1021 and then take one less unit in second semester so I don't have more than the required junior cp (buuut...I really don't want to overload especially not in FIRST semester.. I couldn't even find my way from Redfern to uni today without help).

I wrote a detailed (and polite), clear email to the fac asking them if these options were possible - I received one back which basically just said that they are aware of the timetable clash, and suggested I take a junior unit in Socio-Legal studies instead. No offense to the poor soul who is obviously working their arse off doing all the admin for timetables, but this is stupid because 1) you can't take this subject unless you are doing B Arts and Sciences or B Social Legal Studies (I'm doing B Social Sciences) and 2) it doesn't count as a prerequisite for senior Sociology subjects anyway, which is the whole point of my feelings of trauma right now!

I think they really underestimate how important this is to me, I'm thinking about the fact that I'll have the HECS debt to pay off one day and I don't want to have to 'fill up' my timetable with subjects I don't really want to do (right now I've got two English ones in second semester). I understand that I have to do the stats as much as I'll hate it, but I don't see why I can't just do it later?

ANYWAY, sorry for the huge ramble. I hope at least one person has the patience to read through this and offer some advice, even if the answer is "stop being difficult and just choose between Linguistics and Sociology" at least it will be clear, not like the email which thanked me and offered an "alternative option" (which isn't an option at all) while completely ignoring my actual question.

PS. there was such a good vibe at o-week today which made me all excited about uni despite my subject troubles :)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Change your enrollment online, I'm sure you won't have any problems delaying the stats. Uni is surprisingly flexible.

On another note PM me if you need the Studio 100 textbooks. I'll give you a deal on my 2nd hand ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)