HELP! I need to advice about transferring/degree choice (1 Viewer)

rossverg

HSC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone

I put my final preferences in last night with UAC and I am pretty sure I won't get into my top 3 choices. But I am pretty confident that I will get into pharmacy at sydney uni. BUt the problem is I'm still not 100% sure if I would be interested in it/whether or not that degree would appeal to me. I mean I know its content and stuff and that interests me but I'm worried I won't like it when I'm actually there learning it.

Anyway I need some advice: What are my options if I am not happy with my degree and I notice it within the first few weeks? Can I transfer to any other degree and in other faculty? If so, when can I do this - do I have to complete one year of tertiary study before I can apply to transfer or can I try and transfer to another degree after the first few weeks if I'm not happy? Also who do I contact about transferring - the faculties involved, the UAC or both? :S

Anyway thanks in advance for all your help

Chris.

HSC
wow wtf are your top 3 since you still can make it into pharmacy at usyd?

rossverg

HSC
lol um number one was veterinary science at usyd
two was optometry/science at UNSW
and three was combined law at UNSW

I'm happy with my UAI which was 97.85 but I really dont think I stand a chance at any of those three. Number one is the one I wanted to do most of all but yeah....

Oh one more question.... about transferring..... When can I transfer? Ie is it possible to transfer to 2nd year of another degree provided u cover the same subjects? Or if I want to apply to a totally different course I would obviously have to apply as first year entry wouldn't I??

Also if I transfer into another degree from scratch... do I compete with the 2007 HSC leavers for a place or do the uni's only set aside a small amount of places for non-year 12 applicants?

Sorry for all the questions ppl :(

hellomike

HSC
Well at least your not sobbing over your UAI because it should have been high enough.

The three courses you have chosen are those "elite" UAI programmes. Seeing how they are all 99.xx, you may still have a chance of gaining admission, you just have to wait as again and again that is said, supply and demand. It all depends on how many people are doing it and how many spots are available.

If you don't get into one of those, choose another course like B. Laws or something else related to science within the 97 UAI range. In some courses, it is possible you can tranfer after one semester of university study but you must to very well. In general, most courses ask students to have at least one year of study to be eligible for a transfer.

Most transfers like in your case will be around 50% UAI and 50% GPA. Balance your high UAI with a high GPA so you make sure you can do that V. Science course (if you still do want to). You will most likely need a Distinction average or better.

As a non leaver, you will be competiting for non leaver places.

Contact USYD, UNSW for detailed transfer information into those specific courses and ask them if you could supply any additional work that could give you a better chance for admission.

In some ways, achieving good marks is much easier at uni than school. That's personally how I feel since you don't attend uni 24/7. Do as well as you have and you'll have no trouble.

Last edited:

rossverg

HSC
thanks for ur reply mike. Yeah I cant complain about my UAI - the biggest problem I've faced is trying to decide what I want to study and be for the rest of my life; and yet I am still not 100% sure.. You know I was thinking I'd end up in this position lol :(

So you're saying it is possible to transfer to a course, say bachelor or science/bacehlor of commerce provided my GPA and UAI are high enough? Is this generally true for most courses - say if I wanted to do BPsych or something?

And also, correct me if I'm wrong but I can apply to transfer to a course eiter mid-year or after a full year of study. I can't try and change within the first few weeks of uni?

Oh and the non current school leavers -are they allocated a certain number of places or do they share form the HSC leavers.

thanks again.

rossverg

HSC
ahh I think you've just answered most of my questions in your second post. But one thing though - You said

<I>If you don't get into one of those, choose another course like B. Laws or something else related to science within the 97 UAI range. In some courses, it is possible you can tranfer after one semester of university study but you must to very well. In general, most courses ask students to have at least one year of study to be eligible for a transfer.</I>

Do you mean I should change my course preferences to something like that after the main round offers are made, after I have an offer for pharmacy waiting (assuming I do get one of course)? I know it depends on the demand and supply like you said, but do u think theere is any chance of me getting into a commerce/science or psych degree in the later rounds?

rossverg

HSC
oh and yeah I just realised the italics tag doesnt work lol

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
That is my problem too, i cant get into my top 2 preference. LOL
but finger crossed for 2nd and final round. =)

rossverg

HSC
mitsui.... You aren't happy with your 3rd choice? What was it if you don't mind me asking and are you planning to try and transfer?

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Hi rossverg, my top 3 choices are Usyd, Unsw, UTs Law (combined with com/bus).

I am planning to try transferring into USYD and UNSW from UTS in the 2nd year.

Last edited:

hellomike

HSC
So you're saying it is possible to transfer to a course, say bachelor or science/bacehlor of commerce provided my GPA and UAI are high enough? Is this generally true for most courses - say if I wanted to do BPsych or something?

And also, correct me if I'm wrong but I can apply to transfer to a course eiter mid-year or after a full year of study. I can't try and change within the first few weeks of uni?

Oh and the non current school leavers -are they allocated a certain number of places or do they share form the HSC leavers.

Because your UAI is already high, your GPA also needs to be high because it's 50% of each and if your GPA isn't as high, your non school leaver rank could fall short of the required UAI entry. To look at this in more detail, check out the top thread in the Transfers forum where it outlines how to calculate your rank.
Don't feel you have to limit yourself though, just feel you are putting in 100%.

You can transfer to virtually any course with exceptions to obvious ones that require additional criteria like a portfolio. They just take into account your UAI and your GPA. Just make sure as I have said before, check with USYD/UNSW if you can submit any additional information to help your application chances.

All courses, you can apply after one year of study. Some courses only have mid-year admission and this is only if they feel it's necessary like if numbers are short and places are still available. Be aware that a year of study gives you a higher equilvalent ranking than half of year of study. You basically can't transfer after a few weeks weeks for the obvious reasons of you can't of had proper results yet and you haven't applied yourself completely. You can't just transfer with bad results. Even though it isn't the course you chose, you still have to do well to get out of it.

Because you cannot change your preferences for main rounds anymore, you should keep your three course preferences there. You can choose 9 preferences right? Add others just in case underneath. There is always a chance of you getting in and if you don't you got options.

aaa666

iverson
HSC
try and get a distinction average (all about consistent hard work - not that hard if u keep working at it) and u can safely transfer to nearly any course after 1 year. after first sem very few courses are available to transfer into - nearly all transfers are made at end of year.

to get into commerce u should only need a credit average. if u get a D average u have a good chance at law.

hellomike said:
[/I][/B]Because your UAI is already high, your GPA also needs to be high because it's 50% of each and if your GPA isn't as high, your non school leaver rank could fall short of the required UAI entry.
alot of people think a high uai means u have to get a high gpa. but its not like that. the weighting for is exactly 50-50 for uai and gpa. a high uai pushes ur nsrl up regardless what ur gpa is - a higher uai means u need a lower gpa to get the same nsrl index rank. for example if u get 100uai and a credit average (=89), ur nsrl will be 94.5. if u get 80uai and and a credit average then ur nrsl is 84.5.

hellomike

HSC
In terms of your example, the outcome will be only 94.5. Looking at his preferred courses, it's 99.xx so as agreeing with you, a D is needed. Gosh realising UAI is counted still , thank god I'm not doing a course which counts your UAI so heavily.

rossverg

HSC
Thanks mike and the above posters - I don't know where the hell I'd be if people like u didn't exist on these forums to advise confused individuals such as myself.

So it is possible to transfer to any other degree as long as though they don't have any other prerequisites (excuse spelling) - that makes me feel better lol. Do you guys know if it matters whether or not I'm applying across faculties or even unis? Does it diminish my chances somewhat?

Also I'm guessing the UAC are the people invloved in handling these requests for transfers right? And seeing as though you usually need to complete one year of study, you would need to start from scratch if going into a totally different degree with unrelated subjects?

Also I still dont understand about this - do people who transfer compete for a certain number of places for a degree or for all the places that HSC leavers compete for too?

Thanks again ppl - much appreciated; and u've decreased my stress levels considerably :p

rossverg

HSC
What I mean is, do the NRSL compete for a separate amount of spots (like 20) for a course while hsc leavers comepte for like 200 of the same thing :S

hellomike

HSC
You actually spelt prerequisities right, does that make you feel better? :D

You can transfer to any degree you like, no pre-requisities. Some courses may indeed ask you you submit a written statement for example but it's to boost your chances even more. Well, when you apply, you are applying to that certain university but the specific course faculty handles your admission.

You go through the UAC process again. This time you buy the book, you submit an enclosed form. Of course, if you go from Science to Law, your starting from scratch. Obviously, if you chose another similar course, you may get advance standing on some subjects and you don't have to re-do them.

hellomike

HSC
rossverg said:
What I mean is, do the NRSL compete for a separate amount of spots (like 20) for a course while hsc leavers comepte for like 200 of the same thing :S
I'll like to know about this myself. I'm eerie on this one. If there were 50 spots and there were more than say 100 people who got higher than the UAI required, how does this work? To they scale the UAI higher at last minute?

rossverg

HSC
hellomike said:
I'll like to know about this myself. I'm eerie on this one. If there were 50 spots and there were more than say 100 people who got higher than the UAI required, how does this work? To they scale the UAI higher at last minute?

Ditto for the above. If anyone could provide advice that would be great!

I think my plan would be as follows for now - I think I will carry on with pharmacy and see how it goes; If I'm not appy by the end of first year I will try and transfer butt hopefully my marks will allow me to do that. For the time being I think I will change my preferences for the time being and see where that can take me in the final rounds of offers. How does that sound lol..... This may be a stupid question - but are many other first yr uni students/hsc leavers in the same position as me lol because everyone I talk to know spot on wat they want to do and that really frustrates me lol...

mike - do you thnik if I was to continue with the phamracy for one year to see how it goes and also to try and get some good grades to transfer, would be a waste? I mean I enjoyed sciences lik chem and phys in highschool and did pretty well so hopefully I can get a good GPA if I wish to change...hopefully..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)