• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP! I'm thinking of changing my subjects! (1 Viewer)

HSC
SORRY THIS MIGHT BE LONG!

I'm doing 14 units at the moment and I know that it is too many units. I'm doing.

-English Advanced
-English Extension 1
-General Maths
-Legal Studies
-Modern History
-Music 1
-PDHPE
-Studies of Religion 1 (compulsory)

Anyways, I'm thinking of dropping maths because it is my least strongest subject but I don't mind maths. My parents keep telling me to drop it.
Also I was wondering if Extension English is hard because I'm good at English but I think some of the people doing it might be amazing and I'm scared I won't go very well. And it might be heaps of work on top of advanced english, like heaps of essays and stuff.
Finally, is Ancient History and Modern History too much? Because I could swap PDHPE for Ancient History but I don't know if doing two history's is too much work. I liked PE in years 7-10 because there were a lot of practicals but there aren't many in years 11 and 12.

I'm so confused and stressed.

These would be my amended subject selections if I take away extension english and maths.

-English Advanced
-Legal Studies
-Modern History
-Music 1
-PDHPE or Ancient History
-Studies of Religion 1

That only leaves 11 units and I probably should have 12 units for year 11, shouldn't I?

ARGHHH :mad3:

asdfqwerty

HSC
drop a 2 unit subject in year 11, and then if you dont like ext english/1 unit SOR you can drop it at the beginning of year 12.

GirlGotSwag

HSC
hey, yeah 14 units seems waay too much of a workload, Ancient Hist. is a pretty straightforward subject, 'easier' than modern, just really content heavy so you have to memmorise a lot of stuff, and PDHPE in seniors is pretty much just theory based. Good advice up top, dont drop more than one subject at a time, maybs decide on a 2u subject that you enjoy the least/weakest at, i'm biased to say dont drop ext. Eng cos i dont't think its very workload heavy for what it is, if you enjoy it keep it, otherwise... hp this helps, soz if doesnt, all the best :)

HSC
So if I think I will end up dropping maths.

Do you know if PE is interesting or easy?
Do you know if Anicent and Modern history is way to much work?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You HAVE to do 12 units at least for yr 11.

I recommend you do Ext English because you are good at english.
You seem to have a humanities streak, so if you're good at history keep both.
You have a very high ATAR aim and to get it, you'd need to kill maths general, it has terrible scaling. And to me, it seems like you are humanities inclined. So it might be you should drop that.
You'll hate PDHPE in yr 11, it's like no pracs, that's why I suggest the two histories. It's honestly not any more work than doing two different subjects. Five of my friends did both and now a few did His Ext too, and they don't find the work too much.
Also overbearing thing, if you AREN'T sure doing 14 units for a little bit until you have a more clear cut idea is perfectly fine. it's yr 11, and you have time to play with your subjects.
But I recommend for yr 11:
Adv Eng
Ext 1 Eng
SOR1
Modern History
Ancient History
Legal Studies
Music 1

Leaving you with 12 units. I inferred what subjects you were iffy on doing like PDHPE, and tried to advise as best I could.

HSC
You HAVE to do 12 units at least for yr 11.

I recommend you do Ext English because you are good at english.
You seem to have a humanities streak, so if you're good at history keep both.
You have a very high ATAR aim and to get it, you'd need to kill maths general, it has terrible scaling. And to me, it seems like you are humanities inclined. So it might be you should drop that.
You'll hate PDHPE in yr 11, it's like no pracs, that's why I suggest the two histories. It's honestly not any more work than doing two different subjects. Five of my friends did both and now a few did His Ext too, and they don't find the work too much.
Also overbearing thing, if you AREN'T sure doing 14 units for a little bit until you have a more clear cut idea is perfectly fine. it's yr 11, and you have time to play with your subjects.
But I recommend for yr 11:
Adv Eng
Ext 1 Eng
SOR1
Modern History
Ancient History
Legal Studies
Music 1

Leaving you with 12 units. I inferred what subjects you were iffy on doing like PDHPE, and tried to advise as best I could.
The subjects you said look really appealing. I think I will drop general maths and keep extension english because I've read other topics and everyone says they are easy. Even though you said that Modern History and Ancient History isn't too much work, I still don't know!!! My parents said PDHPE might be a cruising subject (even though they didn't do PDHPE) and that both history's means a lot of essays and dates to remember etc.

It isn't possible to say do PE for a while and if I don't like it change to Ancient History or vice versa?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)