Help in English please! (1 Viewer)

Epicman69

HSC
So I have been always bad at English, I am always getting about the 70% ~ 85% range, and the most prevalent feedback I receive from my teachers is that I have poor expressions (probably showing in this thread rn). I've tried tutoring, reading more books, etc, but it just doesn't seem to have really improved. So any advice on how to improve expression?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Expression may not always refer to your choice of words. It may also refer to structure and punctuation. Those are also important elements that help shape your essay/response.

Since you're still in year 11 you should continue to do what you're doing (tutoring + reading books). In addition, you should regularly seek feedback on your written responses from both your teacher and tutor. Seeking feedback will allow you to receive more suggestions, which you can implement to improve your expressions and regularly doing so will allow for consistent improvements each time you request feedback. This will become particularly relevant as you commence year 12.

Alistruggles

HSC
HAHA i got this exact feedback on my first English Advanced Task (16/20 - "some excellent ideas in this piece, but a lack of cohesiveness and lapses in expression bring down the overall quality"...........................)

disclaimer: I have lost my task and I don't remember the exact wording of feedback ._.

In my opinion one of the best ways you can work on expression is by preparing your quotes and analysis for these quotes. You can adapt your general argument on the day but you can really refine the body of the argument by editing your analysis/links between quotes/contextual links to be more succinct and better expressed

In general active practice (writing essays/paragraphs) is going to be a lot more effective than passive practice (reading books, notes)

I think short sentences are also generally more favoured over long sentences. Try to not reuse the same word. I didn't get ANY sleep for my first task and I wrote variations of the same word four times in one sentence because I was so out of it LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)