Help in studing (1 Viewer)

mt87

(((matty)))
HSC
So far in maths i havn't been doin too well kept on gettin under average..what is the best way to study?? Does the excel book or any other book help in study??

i need alot of helps and tips in studin so dat i don't get too worries towards mi hsc..

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
ok, do your homework, that's the basic start, no matter how boring it is, its the only starting point to make you understand the content before you go on to other books. what text book are you using for gen maths?

after you do your homework, go through hsc papers and try and do the questions that are in the topic you're doing. this way, you'll get used to answering hsc type questions.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Practice makes perfect. Do plenty of questions until you know how to do a question straight after you read it. Speed and accuracy is a key to success in maths. :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
Give up while you can! And try to pick up Ancient history if your not already doing it.
*sighz* i so regret not choosing ancient history ><* would have replaced maths fo sho xD

mt87 said:
So far in maths i havn't been doin too well kept on gettin under average..what is the best way to study?? Does the excel book or any other book help in study??

i need alot of helps and tips in studin so dat i don't get too worries towards mi hsc..
i'm really bad at maths too so your not alone. by the way textbooks don't help you in study, only you can. thus if you want to improve your maths just constantly do questions from various textbooks, past papers and ask people constantly for random questions as this will test if you know the concepts . do your homework and all work given and always ask the teacher on questions you don't understand. good luck ~~

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
wow still awake at this time? you go out tonight? i came back at 2am and am so fcking tired but don't feel like sleeping lol.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Also try to vary the study techniques you use, the same techniques will not always work for the same people. Every journey begins with the first step and yours is to attempt and complete homework\class work that and using your class time to its full potential asking the teacher questions to clarify anything that you don't understand.

For study at the end of each topic its not a bad idea to write up 1 A4 sheet double side of all the equations, terms, formals and include examples that have been learn, from either notes taken or the textbook. It makes a great study tool and can be used as quick revision before exams support this with a study guide (excel) ones are usually good and you should see a marked improvement in your marks.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
At the start of year 12 I was getting 37% in maths!!!!! oh god the embarrassment...and then in the HSC I got 82...and the solution was...I got a tutor lol :)

But if you don't want to do that...then like everyone else is saying just keep doing questions. Excel is good, but it does get boring after a while. The examples are good so use them. Also, your teachers are one of the best resources (unless you have a crap teacher) so always ask them to help.

Use different colours when doing notes, it helps stimulate the mind. One thing I think is good, you may not agree, is to do past HSC papers at the start of term 2, then mark them, then do them again before the HSC and you will see an improvement hopefully. Do the multiple choice on the Board of Studies http://www4.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/, it's more interesting than plain paper. And one thing to keep in mind is, 'the brain can only really concentrate on something for up to 40 mins' (quote my year 12 science teacher), so take a 5-10 minute break every 40-60 minutes, it's good for you and you will feel much better.

GOOD LUCK and remember don't stress, breath and relax!! The HSC is just an exam...not the end of the world.

craz

HSC
People say that maths is also a bit of a bore. I agree it can be a bit of a bore. Unfortunately a lot of what we do in our everyday lives evolves around maths.

I reckon the best way to study for maths is don't stick 100% to the textbook! Actually I found the textbooks were a bit of a bore. BUT taking a bit out of every book, asking your teacher if you don't understand it. Probably the best tool when getting close to your exams is to do past exam papers...a variety of them and a variety of different questions based on different topics and so forth.

Believe it or not but there is life after the HSC!

craz

HSC
You know what...I can't actually remember LOL but im betting that it more than likely is in the survival guide. Uni is nothing like Year 12, sigh life is so much easier...than all that stressful work in Year 12.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
craz said:
You know what...I can't actually remember LOL but im betting that it more than likely is in the survival guide. Uni is nothing like Year 12, sigh life is so much easier...than all that stressful work in Year 12.
hehe, thats what ive been told !

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Practice, practice, practice.

I went from a mark of 74% in my trials to an exam mark of 93%. I worked and re-worked problems from a whole bunch of textbooks. It's the only way. It also helps if you're confident with formulas.

HSC
Life is evil, I beat you by trials by 1 but you beat me in HSC exam by 1 :p

craz

HSC
Riviet said:
Sounds hectic to me.
Yea at times...not all the time...

You know with general maths...is does make it easier to have the formula sheet it's a bit like a cheat sheet! made for people who aren't so good at maths..

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
manifestation said:
At the start of year 12 I was getting 37% in maths!!!!! oh god the embarrassment...and then in the HSC I got 82...and the solution was...I got a tutor lol :)
I'm sort of in a similar situation. Some assessment tasks I absolutely bombed out in and still I ended up getting an HSC mark of 84. As people have said, do your homework and please, ask your teacher if you need help. They are there to help you, so make use of them!
Best of luck :)

amz-06***

HSC
i always write formulas etc on sheets and write a few examples. put it all in a book. then it is there for future reference!!! try doing your home work 2 :sleep: i know its a bore but it helps, don't just quit when u hit a hard question. ask your teacher 2 go over it with you. it's best 2 know then not know!

nitro.vo

HSC
Use up pens.
Keep practising until your pen runs out, get a new one and practise more..

maybe i should listen to my own advice 'eh ..

P

pLuvia

nitro.vo said:
Use up pens.
Keep practising until your pen runs out, get a new one and practise more..

maybe i should listen to my own advice 'eh ..
I think that's a bit excessive studying a whole pen only maths ;)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
im not too good at maths either so i know how you feel...as a lot of other people have said, the best way to improve is to practice, practice, practice. every time you learn a new concept or formula or whatever, go home and practice applying the concept until you're certain you understand. and if there's anything you dont get, no matter how small, get it explained to you straight away because if you dont understand fully at the start you'll be screwed when you go to revise and realise you still dont get it. also do past papers and try to look at different textbooks if you can. something i do sometimes is when i think i've got the hang of something i make up my own questions and solve them. i find that helps a lot because i think it gets you to understand the process better, like why the concept works the way it does, and it helps you to remember the formulas if you have to as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)