• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HELP!! IT courses.. (1 Viewer)

nemesis07

{Shift2Drift}
HSC
I got my uai this morning and it was a disappointing 82.15. I originally wanted to do maths/comp sci but i really dun think they would accept me now. Anyway, i wanna know from the people that are doing these courses and what is better. Also about the jobs and whats out there. Alright heres the list, B Comp Sci, B Info and Com Tech (Network and systems management), B Engineering (Comp). I like networking and also programming but i also want to do things like management (commercy stuff). Mainly something that will get me a job with a good salary. Btw, are there any electives about fraud investigation? Thanks in advanced.. :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
nemesis07 said:
I got my uai this morning and it was a disappointing 82.15. I originally wanted to do maths/comp sci but i really dun think they would accept me now. Anyway, i wanna know from the people that are doing these courses and what is better. Also about the jobs and whats out there. Alright heres the list, B Comp Sci, B Info and Com Tech (Network and systems management), B Engineering (Comp). I like networking and also programming but i also want to do things like management (commercy stuff). Mainly something that will get me a job with a good salary. Btw, are there any electives about fraud investigation? Thanks in advanced.. :)
Computer Science approximate UAI is 77. The Course structure can be found here: http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/cour766.html
Mathematics approximate UAI is 75. The course structure can be found here:
http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/cour762.html

Computer Science/Mathematics entry requirements are that the entry requirements for both CompSci/Maths are completed. A UAI of 82.15 is larger than both 75 and 77. So just looking by UAI, you'll get into CompSci/Maths easily. Also, Since you're a SHHS student, you get the 3 point knock off for the requirements. 75 becomes 72, and 77 becomes 74.

Computer Science is a very flexible degree, you have 72 credit points (only half the degree) of core (compulsory subjects). This means you can take subjects, even whole majors in fields outside computing. Such areas you can study while in computer science are found in the general schedule http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/generalschedule05 so there's no worries there.

Note that if you do a ComputerScience/Mathematics double degree ( http://www.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2005/cour769.html ) then you don't have the freedom CompSci offers. Of course, you can choose to take other subjects, and they will appear on your transcript (I think), but you will not get credit for them (that is, they won't count for anything). You'd do them purely out of interest, and it'd be elongating your degree.

Also, don't feel bad, 82.15 is good. It gets you into what you want to do. :)

adsta

HSC
If you don't get into the double degree then do computer science for the first year. Pick maths subjects for your electives. Then try and change into the comp sci/math double degree for second year.

nemesis07

{Shift2Drift}
HSC
Thanks for that info but i was wondering which degree is better, COmp Sci or Info and Comm Tech (Network and System Management)?

adsta

HSC
nemesis07 said:
Thanks for that info but i was wondering which degree is better, COmp Sci or Info and Comm Tech (Network and System Management)?
Depends on what you want to do after uni. If you are more in to the whole programming side of things, then comp sci is the way to go. I personally don't like the info tech subjects, they seem really boring (just my opinion).
My vote goes with comp sci because there are more different job possibilities available after you graduate.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
adsta said:
Depends on what you want to do after uni. If you are more in to the whole programming side of things, then comp sci is the way to go. I personally don't like the info tech subjects, they seem really boring (just my opinion).
My vote goes with comp sci because there are more different job possibilities available after you graduate.
Hahahaha! Bollocks! There's more programming in Network/Systems Management than there is in CompSci. But then you'd need to do gay IACT/ITCS subjects. If you do CompSci you can do all the programming subjects (by choosing most of them as electives) and fucking off the bullshit (IACT/ITCS).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)