• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help...journal! (1 Viewer)

electrofatness

HSC
What does one actually write in the journal? I've almost finished my major work (a speech), but I have yet to figure out what I should actually write in this thing. Can someone please help me with this?

idling fire

HSC
You just write about what you've written, how and why (using tense that suggests you've been using the journal as you progress - backdating etc.) and talk about research. There's at least one other thread that will give better info.

diamondblue

HSC
N/A
One of the most important things i used the journal for was building up an annotated bibliography. Some people take the research part of this unit really lightly but it is definitely to their detriment. Read as many relevant novels/ short stories/ poems/ video clips or whatever as you can, write a half page summary in your journal on each (try to comment on creative and litarary aspects not "in this film jane meets bob and they get married") and make sure you have cited them properly (use citationcreation.com for that) so you can refer back to them in assessments.

The other thing i found helpful was research into different litaray styles, trends and genres. You are creating in a postmodern environment, research is about trying to understand what that means. This way rather then just writing a good story you are also able to fully appreciate the complexities of both your own and other authors works on a variety of levels. At the end of the day this is what ext 2 is all about.

diamondblue

HSC
N/A
The other really important thing is reflecting on your own work. Try to do all your mind mapping, brainstorming, planing, character outlines etc in your journal. That way any changes to your work can be justified through the progression you have made in improving/ editing your work in your journal.

Plus- a really well used journal is something you can look back on and really appreciate it demonstrates the massive amount of work required for this one unit. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)