HELP!majopr assessment...i got no idea! (1 Viewer)

tara04

HSC
ok! its worth 30% and its a first hand investigation!. WE have to determine how a plant adaptation affects the rate of transpiration.
he pretty much said find an adaptation and change it compare it to a control and yer u get the picture!

but im stuck!
Thort about changin the direction In which the leaves grow then putting a sealed bag over the leaves and recording the transpiration.... but to do this at home how do you meaure that tiny tiny amount of water?

HELP PLEASE

punk_tartan

HSC
tara04 said:
ok! its worth 30% and its a first hand investigation!. WE have to determine how a plant adaptation affects the rate of transpiration.
he pretty much said find an adaptation and change it compare it to a control and yer u get the picture!

but im stuck!
Thort about changin the direction In which the leaves grow then putting a sealed bag over the leaves and recording the transpiration.... but to do this at home how do you meaure that tiny tiny amount of water?

HELP PLEASE
do you have to use the same type of plant? u could use TWO different plants, one with an adaptation for transpiration such as the eucalypt that has a waxy coating on its leaves and commpare it to another plant with that amount of water lost but havin the plastic bags around the leaves. You could aslo widen it to choose another plant with adaptation, any biology textbook should be abel to direct you a plant to improve the reliability. as for measuring the amount of water you could perhaps leave if for a few days and repeat it several times. Youy could also as to borrow some equipment form school if you ask your techer nicley

hope that helps

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
maybe measure it qualitatively rather than quantitatively.

I would use plants like a eucalypt (for leaf orientation) the Hakea (not really any 'leaves' but more spindles [an adaptation]) or a jacaranda (small leaves rather than big ones [less Surface area]) and maybe one that comes from a wet environment where water conservation isnt a concern. (cant think of an example coz i'm tired)

Dr_Doom

HSC
There is some plant that has no stomata which would be an adaptation to conserve water.. But what I don't get is if it has no stomata, how do the leaves exchange gases and water escapre through the leaves for the transpiration pull... Idk..

Another example is some leaves curl up to protect their stomata, or some have sunken stomata. This prevents water loss. Therefore would prolly decrease rate of transpiration.. Don't quote me.

elsapelle

HSC
Heya!

How an adaptation affects transpiration hey... there are some which you can use like the eucalypt which of course has the waxy cuticles to stop water loss, or spinifex grass which which has droopy leaves to avoid showing its stomates [you know spinifex grass? Lives in the desert mainly so of course it wants to maintain as much water as it can! And if you want a hot sounding word its called a xerophyte; basically that means its adapted to dry arid landscapes!]... also some have hairy leaves, stems or flowers to stop evaporation [i think an example of that is the alpine groundsel; the macquarie bio revision book talks about it somewhere in the maintaining a balance section].

Once you've done the investigation and you're doing the report remember to link it all back to things like entantiosis & maintaining a balance. Hope it all goes well!
els

tara04

HSC
hey thanks guys.... yeah have to use the same type of plant! iv found a thing called a potometer its supposed to measure transpiration! ne1 heard of it...info?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)