Help me decide on what subjects to keep or drop. (1 Viewer)

SureBluff

HSC
Okay, I'm currently in yr 11 (or unofficially yr 12 considering all the official yr 12 are off doing their HSC and/or have already finished).

I have 13 units at school right now, and yes, I also do about 6hrs a week of tutoring (last term was 3u maths, 2u physics, this term it's 3/4u maths). I find myself struggling to finish all the work without going past like 1 or 2 o'clock every morning. I'm finding the shear amount of work to be stressful. I would prefer it if I drop to 10 or 11 units so I can concentrate on each of the subjects better.

Subjects I have right now are:

Maths 4unit
English 3unit
Physics 2unit
Engineering 2unit
Visual Arts 2unit (maybe 3 now)

These are the report marks that I recieved from the yearlies and half yearlies:
The first score is half yearlies, the second is yearlies.

Maths Adv: 100/100, 97/100
Maths Ext1: 38/50, 41/50
I'm not happy about my results for ext maths, the maths staff decided to make this year's test to be extremely hard since 95% of the people in our grade decided to choose ext1 maths. When I revised with the past papers, i usually get 95-100%.
Maths Ext2: just started on the course so no results yet.
English Adv: 83/100, 74/100
English Ext1: 36/50, 44/50
Physics: 76/100, 85/100 (ranked 14th out of 112)
Engineering: 88/100, 90/100 (ranked 4th out of 26)
Visual Arts: 82/100, 90/100 (ranked 2nd out of 13)

Now for some background info on what I likent that we get for engineering to be stressful to say the least.
Our school is also a top school in the states for enginneering, 1st or 4th in the state for Engineering last year was from our school I think.

Visual Arts: I'm having mixed feelings about this. I always liked art, even from a young age. While every other kid was playing with toy trucks or whatever, I was usually drawing or painting.
As of this year, I came first in my class for the end of year written exam results, but my artworks are average (in my opinion anyways, but I'm usually very critical of myself). A heavy blow to my likings for Art came when I got rejected for National Art School while 5 or 6 other people in my class made it in. This lead to me thinking that maybe I'm just not very good and/or less talented. I sometimes get so upset when I think about that, that I actually feel like dropping Art.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hmm... you have some impressive ranks there, especially engineering and visual arts. Those two will be useful if you're thinking of telecom. or architecture. The only thing i would suggest you drop is maybe english extension, because you don't really need it for the courses you're gonna do in uni and it just adds work. You said you're keeping maths 4u + physics and if you add a minimum of 2u english you have 8 units. Now you wanted 10 or 11 units. Either keep english ex + engineering studies/visual arts for 11 units or drop english ex and keep one of the other two for 10 units. If you decide on which uni course you want, that will narrow it down to picking either engineering for architecture or visual arts for archiecture.

Jon73

human dick-tionary
HSC
i have some advice, stop acting like a conceited lil prick. :rolleyes:

SureBluff

HSC
yeah, I'll probably drop ext english, I'll probably stop one of the tutoring as well and try and do the rest on my own. I still feel like doing 10 or 11 units though.

can you believe that a year 10 was ranked 1st in engineering!? aghhh

also, a 12 yr old kid from our school sat the HSC for 3u and 4u maths this year. he also said that he found it pretty easy. aghhhh wtf!?

SureBluff

HSC
I'm sorry if I seem that way.

I am seriously in a dilemma. The last time I asked someone online for help on subject selections, they said they need more background information, and thats what I provided today.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Well SureBluff, if you decide which uni course you wanna do out of architecture and telecom. then keep the subject that corresponds with it. If you are still unsure of which to drop, I recommend dropping ext. english as these 2 uni courses do not require any further study of english than the standard 2 unit course.

HSC
N/A
Hey there SureBluff,

If I were you, I think I'd drop Ext Eng. For a few reasons really....

Firstly, you don't seem to be all too fussed about it. Secondly, because you don't really need any more than 2U of English to get into the course you want.

I would NOT drop Visual Arts or Engineering, as it will greatly help you if you want to study Architecture at University. Your marks and ranks are also quite good in these two courses, so I would definately not drop them.

I also wouldn't worry about losing that extra 'scaling power' from Eng Ext either, because with your marks/ranks and the scaling of your other courses, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck with what you decide. Really in the end, go with your -
a) Interest
b) Future Education/Career
c) Ability

I know it must be very upsetting that you didn't get into the NAS course. I guess I'm lucky because I'm the only one at my school who applied, so couldn't ever have anyone 'picked' over me. But don't let not getting in discourage you. Just think of it as the NAS' loss ;)

Anyway, 50% of the course is theory, and you seem to have that nailed.... and you have until the end of August next year to work and perfect your BOW. Remember the form categories are so open as well.... there is just so much you can/could do.

Really, I'm sure you'll be fine. And you seem to like Art too much to be able to drop it too.

Once again - Good luck!

Last edited:

SureBluff

HSC
:eek:
thanks etc.etc.etc. That really means alot to me.
I actually feel more motivated towards art, still have to come up with a concept for BOW though.
REALLY, thank you. :)

come to think of it, Ext English as only a single unit, would require you to spend far too much time reading more texts, and I probably wouldnt have time for that.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
No problems :)

What form do you usually work in, or are you thinking of working in? I'm generally a painter/photographer, and am heading down that road. Thinking about doing a series of Mixed Media works, about the effects time has upon city walls.

With your mathematical+architectural interest, I can imagine seeing a series of awesome techincal drawings and architectural photographs, with cool codes and stuff scrawled all over them. All about the busy, mechanical nature of the city.

Yeah. I've always wanted to see something like that :p

SureBluff

HSC
I did technical drawing in yr 9-10. It was really different to art, and I didnt do that well in it. They were more concerned with the neatness of it, and I'm not that neat of a person when it comes to drawings.

In terms of art, I generally do painting (oil or acrylic, they're both fine) and soft pastels. But I'm okay with graphite, not that great with charcoal or sculptures though. Actually, I'm REALLY bad at sculpture/ceramics.

I really don't know what I should do my artwork about. I did still lives, portraits, figures, sceneries (waterfall), structures (harbour bridge). You name the concept, I did it. However none of those works stood out in particular.

O btw, check out Imants Tillers work, he was from our school, and he usually have codes and stuff scribbled all over. I don't really get the meaning behind them though.

richz

just do the subjects u enjjoy, we cant really help u, if u enjoy the subject i guarentee u will do well.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Hey surebluff. We both go to Sydney Tech HS.
I have some idea of who you are and what you're like.

It's up to you what you want to do. Listen to yourself.
Besides, if i told you to drop something and you listen to me and then in 6 months time become a failure, you'd be blaming me and you'd kill me so it's your decision.
Check what career options you are interested in.

and yes you are right, if you have many units, you don't get much time for each subject especially 4u maths.
Your marks are really good.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Hey surebluff. Your ranks, marks and subjects and attitudes towards your subjects gave away your identity.
Interesting life story there.
I hope you do make that right decision. Good Luck!
I hope you do get into the uni course you want.
BTW how do you know our school is bad at english and good at maths?
Are there stats to prove it? If so, can i see them?

SureBluff

HSC
date of birth: 1962???

wth??? YOU LIAR, post your real birthday!!! ... either that or you're a teacher, which I seriously doubt.

anyways, you know the editions of Sydney Morning Herald which tells you what school ranked where, and how many people got over 90 and etc ...

Yeah, well, our school has heaps of people with over 90s in Maths and its extensions, while not as much for English. Besides, when compared to other schools, we have a HELLA lot of people doing Ext2 Maths (about 60-70), while not as many doing Ext English. Last year's Ext2 English people are pretty good though, I must admit.

Anyways, I just dropped Ext English ... well almost, I got my parents signiture and everything, but tommorrow I have to speek to Ms Demetriadus and get hers(thats always death).

On a more surprising note today, you know how I said I didnt make national art school, well, I got offered a different course today. I just recieved a form from Ms Blake (arts teacher) that said that I'm accepted into the 3u VA for Intensive art criticism and art history if I choose to do it. Aghhhh more theory, but the extra unit don't count towards your UAI. It still appears on your HSC though. Who cares, I'm still gonna do it.

Last edited:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
3u VA, i haven't heard of extension VA before.

So u've got 13 units minus ext english plus 3u va =13.
Fair deal.
You said you love visual arts, go for 3u visual arts and you got accepted.

Hows 4u maths? Complex....numbers....
The word 'complex' is so scary.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
SureBluff said:
date of birth: 1962???

wth??? YOU LIAR, post your real birthday!!! ... either that or you're a teacher, which I seriously doubt.
Since when did i POST my birthday??

SureBluff

HSC
complex numbers is quite easy, done it already ... but I'll still get owned by you know, those other people *coughyipminhimrancough*. Who are you anyways, I already made my identity blatently obvious with my subjects choices, so mind telling me who you are? I know for sure that you're in my grade.

EDIT: btw, ur birthday is posted in your profile. January the 1st, 1962. HA!!! HOUSE OF LIES!!!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
SureBluff said:
On a more surprising note today, you know how I said I didnt make national art school, well, I got offered a different course today. I just recieved a form from Ms Blake (arts teacher) that said that I'm accepted into the 3u VA for Intensive art criticism and art history if I choose to do it. Aghhhh more theory, but the extra unit don't count towards your UAI. It still appears on your HSC though. Who cares, I'm still gonna do it.
Hey, what's the deal with the theory course? I know someone in class of '05 did it, and I haven't even heard of it. Is it part of the Intensive Practice Program? Does it run during the Christmas holidays too? All the information I received when I applied, was accepted and enrolled for 3U VA only ever mentioned the practical studios (ie. Painting, Photography, Ceramics, Digital Imaging etc) and not Critical and Historical Study.

I would have loved to do theory! I enjoy theory more than practical in art (Okay well, maybe) Haha, I wonder if I could do NAS Painting AND Theory. Ooooooo.

Congratulations by the way!! I'm sure you'll have a ball. That place has such a stimulating environment. I'd never felt so inspired and motivated :)

Last edited:

SureBluff

HSC
Basically, NAS sends a letter to selected schools and ask the teachers to nominate one or two students to do it.

You have to do an 1000 word essay, a 5-10 min oral speech, and a powerpoint presentation on selected pieces of work where you act out the role of an art critic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)