Help me decide? (1 Viewer)

M

MichelleV

Hi guys;

So on monday I will be resigning from my current job at an accounting firm in sydney. I'm basically just unhappy here and I want to leave sooner rather than later. Anyhow...

I'm considering two options at the moment.

1) Find another job as soon as possible, and continue on with my part time studies.
2) Study full time for a semester, and apply for cadetships starting in 2013 (I'll still be a first year student at this point.)

Which do you think I should follow?/why/why not

I'm too indecisive at the moment :p

runnable

HSC
What do you want to do in the future? How old are you?

I would choose No 2 but that may be tough getting a position.

M

MichelleV

I'm 18, I finished school last year.

I probably should have mentioned I'd be studying accounting full time, or working in an accounting firm full time + part time study/ Sorry :p

runnable

HSC
Mate, you're 18. Go to uni and get a cadetship should be your top choice.

Otherwise do accounting full time and ace your studies.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What is it about your job that you don't like though? Would you change areas of focus or would you build upon your existing experience? How much experience do you have in your current role as well (which from memory is also a cadetship)?

I have seen a few people over the years move cadetships from one firm to another (sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller) but it isn't that common... not that that should make a difference.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, what job are you looking for, Michelle? Another cadetship (and if so, in what field?) or, making sandwiches like squishxmishyx here :p

Since you're first year - I believe - see how you go in this semester, your first - and see. If your marks are relatively bad, maybe you'd be more against getting a job because your marks are suffering. If your marks are pretty good, then I think that'd be encouragement for you to work because you know you're still going well.

And less seriously, but more seriously... come UNSW? :p

Data1

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hi guys;

So on monday I will be resigning from my current job at an accounting firm in sydney. I'm basically just unhappy here and I want to leave sooner rather than later. Anyhow...

I'm considering two options at the moment.

1) Find another job as soon as possible, and continue on with my part time studies.
2) Study full time for a semester, and apply for cadetships starting in 2013 (I'll still be a first year student at this point.)

Which do you think I should follow?/why/why not

I'm too indecisive at the moment :p
You shouldn't pick an accounting major just so you can get an intership.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You have to keep in mind most people don't quit unless they have something lined up... you sure you want to quit? Given it's been what, less than half a year, I'd say you are still only just getting into the swing of things. That being said if it's a cultural issue that is stopping you from enjoying yourself then that is usually a good reason to move on.

I'd say given it's cadetship application time now I'd say make the most of it and apply now. A lot of firms (mine included) are still open for another week or so. I guess you never know and it's not too late to start again from the ground up (seeing that you are 18!).

M

MichelleV

Thanks guys.

I'm not picking accounting as my major for the purpose of having an cadetship. I chose it for other reasons :p

And Seremify, I've been looking at a lot of the big firms and I've noticed all their applications for 2013 close soon. I'm considering applying for these, but I'm unsure of whether I want to go to a bigger firm than where I am now. I think I'll just give them a go anyhow. Horay if I get a job, and no harm done having more experience with interviews and applications :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)