Help me if you caaann (1 Viewer)

Alexander

Gold Member
Hey, not sure if this is appropriate but I....have a problem.
I want to delete an old user profile on my PC. The problem is, the one I want to delete is the profile ive set up to the net. The other profile I have doesn't connect.
I was wondering how to switch profiles so I can connect with the other profile and delete this profile...
Any thoughts?

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Have you tried setting up the Internet to work on the second profile? (the one you want to keep) Log out of the first profile (the one that you want to remove) log into the other user profile, then set up the net by going to Network Connections in Control Panel. Is the profile you want to use set up as a Computer Administrator profile?

Huy

HSC
N/A
wogboy, I believe Alex has tried your suggestions. As he states "the other profiles I have do not connect".

Alex, why do you want to delete your user profile, if I may ask?
Have you tried to rename the profile instead?

As wogboy has suggested, do you have Administrator privileges on both accounts?

Why exactly do you want to delete it?
Has the profile been corrupted?
What have you done, in testing to see if your 'new' profile cannot connect?
Is it any different to your current profile?

You can have multiple profiles on your computer, but you cannot delete an Administrator account if it is the only Administrator account on the system.

You will only be able to switch profiles if you have a backup profile, which you would probably know already, but I would tell you to create another Administrator account, or rename the Administrator account.

Start, run, control userpasswords2 will prove useful.

Also, you might like to look at:

Start, run, sysdm.cpl, Advanced (tab).
Under User Profiles, click Settings.

You might also like to manage your accounts, in tree-style view.
Right click on My Computer, Manage.

Left hand side, Local Users and Groups
Expand Users

You will be able to manage users, as is the case in control userpasswords2 (above) - check each user account and their corresponding account properties, or group-type.

All the best,

Alexander

Gold Member
Gee thanks guys.
I just got rid of it. I had already deleted the user, but it was still there, so i had to get rid of the password, then change the startup settings to get rid of the log off.
The other connection was made fine, i just made a new connection and got the ph. number (dow!)

I created the other profile a while ago as an experiment and since then, my brother was using the other one and making seporate folders, copying games and taking up space. Now, thanks to Jenny Craig, Huy and Wogboy, my PC is healthy, fast and light.
Ta!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Sure, not a problem Alexander. It's always good to hear positive feedback.

I think when you deleted the profile, data pertaining to the 'old' Administrator had been remnant on the system, but getting rid of the password and changing your logon/logoff procedures had been a good idea.

Tip: If you are at the welcome screen (Windows XP), hit control-alt-delete twice to get back to your Classic Logon prompt, which will allow you to access the 'hidden' Administrator account, which had been setup during installation.

If you are going to experiment with different user profiles, always make sure that you have one, working, Administrator account on the system (it is also fine to have multiple Administrator accounts, but restrict the access and privileges on subsequent, sub-level accounts).

I'm glad your computer is working now, let this be a lesson for you. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)