Help me interpret this visual text please (1 Viewer)

Amigu

HSC
Ay guys I’m doing a speech this Tuesday at school for English. We were told to pick our own text and make a speech about how it affects our understanding of journey.
I picked this four page manga by Range Murata called Groundpass Drive. I’ve been using a sheet that explains the basics of visual language to interpret the meaning of the different scenes because I’m quite new to visual texts. Ok it’s been going quite well and I’ve come up with some really good stuff, however this last image is leaving me a bit confused.

Obviously the two are parting ways. It seems she is a bit tentative, judging by her body language and they booth don’t have eye contact, signalizing uncertainty. It’s hard to say whether they are parting ways forever or what exactly is happening and it can’t be concluded from the rest of the story because the context of their partnership and their journey is left ambiguous throughout.
I can see that the train line on which he is standing crosses ways with the road and that vectors outside of that (like the power lines and road markings) are enforcing the impression of a cross road.
Now my mother thinks there is a bit of danger in this picture, with him standing on the railroad and with the yellow and black colors. I’m not sure if I see it, it seems very idyllic if anything.

Do any of you guys have experience with this type of thing? I’d love to hear your opinions.

Also there’s some Japanese writing integrated into the picture. Here’s a close-up. Does anybody have a translation? I thought it might add some meaning to the picture. Although it could just be the artists signature or something.

purpleswirlz

HSC
hey there

helps up for offer

I would say that the sky is troubling, contrasting to the bright colours used and "happy" atmosphere suggesting an undercurrent of saddness or confusion, maybe the emptyness that will be felt after the parting.
There is a real sense of superficality, the facial expression and body language are way to over done.. but i think thats just the style of the work
the train tracks disappearing of into the distance are symbolic of the continuity experienced within the physical journey, suggesting this is merley another phase of the journey another parting.
i was thinking that maybe the traintracks and crossing, meant that one this parting ended the gates close never to be revisited again.. oh oh! symbolic that a choice can only be made once, and the choice will never reoccur again.
anyway back to the gates, suggesting they will be cut off unable to reach each other again witout overcoming possible obstacles (a train could come and then yea.. run them over)

What you had already was pretty good!

if u want help or anything msn..
purpleswirlz@hotmail.com

BEST OF LUCK

Amigu

HSC
Thanks a lot that's great! I'll definitely build that into my speech. Awesome :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)