Help me out please.. (1 Viewer)

toknblackguy

HSC
i'm doing actuarial studies + economics (double degree)
but last semester i stuffed up stat171, which also happens to be a prerequisite for acst211.

now this coming semester, i already have 4 subjects, which ontop of that i have to resit stat171. and second semester of this coming year, i have 4 subjects where i have to add in acst211 (assuming all goes well with stat this time around)

now, what i was considering doing was replacing stat171 with a subject (econ200) during first semester, and do econ 200 as a summer course. that way, i have only 4 subjects to do first semester. and the same thing applies for this upcoming second semester. i replace econ201 with acst211, doing econ201 also as a summer course.

now, does it matter when i undertake econ200 and econ201 as summer courses? do i have to do them this christmas, or can i do them next christmas, and the christmas after that or what's the deal?

my reccomended program can be found here
http://www.actuary.mq.edu.au/programs/2004_Economics.pdf

thanks for the help

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
look in ur undergraduate handbook and check if the extra units in ur econ double require econ201 or econ200 prereq.

im not doing combined econ, so for me, all i need to do is econ201 and that's only for exemption purposes. So it doesnt matter when I do econ201. But this may be different for you, so check the handbook.

chunder

HSC
Hey Jase buddy....u don't need to do acst211 anymore as it isn't a prequisite for anything any longer (http://www.mq.edu.au/reforms/ug-schedule-2005.html) so your problem is somewhat lessened. HOWEVER, you still need to do something else otherwise you wouldn't have enough credit points to graduate.

I hope this helps!!!

Note: I'm not sure how official the information on the weblink is...so its best you check it up !!

toknblackguy

HSC
hahaha
i didn't konw u were apart of this chunder!

anyway, what was acst211 a prerequisite for in the first place/
and now i get to choose something i may find interesting to replace it?
even better ;)

CloudStrife

HSC
hey jason
its ken...i gota do stat171/acst211 aswell next year.....but i'm doing comp degree .....

my change
1st sem: stat171 is going to replace accg253
2nd sem: doing econ201 this summer

mite be different for u coz u're combining econ.....
btw, try giving westcott a email....i think he's the program coordinator or sumthin?

toknblackguy

HSC
hi ken
do you mean the acst101 dude?

and so that means ur not doing acst211?

CloudStrife

HSC
acst101? wat bout it?

next year 1st sem: stat171, acst200, stat272, comp225
next year 2nd sem: acst255, comp226, stat271, acst211

original 1st sem had accg253 but i can do it wenever....
original 2nd sem had econ201 but doing it as summer course....

toknblackguy

HSC
but ken, did you read what chunder said?

acst211 is no longer a pre-requisite for anything
so wouldn't you / we be better off doing a different subject?

or is it still smarter to do acst211?

toknblackguy

HSC
yeah that's what i was thinking also ken

so that we do'nt get disadvantaged if compared to others
we'll see eh

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
chunder said:
Hey Jase buddy....u don't need to do acst211 anymore as it isn't a prequisite for anything any longer (http://www.mq.edu.au/reforms/ug-schedule-2005.html) so your problem is somewhat lessened. HOWEVER, you still need to do something else otherwise you wouldn't have enough credit points to graduate.

I hope this helps!!!

Note: I'm not sure how official the information on the weblink is...so its best you check it up !!
Important: the link refers to the old 300 level units (my year will be the last year undertaking those units - consider Acst344 has Acst243 as a prereq). You will require Acst211 for Acst354. So do make sure you do Acst211 in second year (if you didn't do it in first year) and enrol in Stat171 in first semester if you didn't get a Cr.

Last edited:

chunder

HSC
flyin' said:
Important: the link refers to the old 300 level units (my year will be the last year undertaking those units - consider Acst344 has Acst243 as a prereq). You will require Acst211 for Acst354. So do make sure you do Acst211 in second year (if you didn't do it in first year) and enrol in Stat171 in first semester if you didn't get a Cr.
How do you know for sure that ACST354 will require 211 as a prereq???

Is it official or is it sourced from your wonderful natural ability of deduction???

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It's official. There are a few ways you can check:
1. If they didn't take ACSTINFO down in WebCT you'd find a post about all the new units, such as ACST255 (first offering next year), ACST354, among others.
2. It's on the ACST noticeboard near ERIC.
3. It's online elsewhere for sure, at least check the "Current Students" recommended program and look at the third year units - they are different from the third year units in the link.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Actually I can't say 211 will definitely be a prereq for 354, but it most likely will. You'll find the download in ACST noticeboard near ERIC (unless they've taken that down as well,dunno)
(And no, you can't deduce prereqs for units which don't yet exist)

Last edited:

feng

new syllabus sucks...makes ppl pay more money cos more subjects...

hey jason (tokn) its me sean, jason tans neighbour haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)