Help me please... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leb_gend

hey guys my name is nathan and i just started the HSC and i have been waitiing for this year for ever. Now its here and im like "wats the big deal? theres nothing to do"
I know from mates that they always say "ohh i wish i did this earlier" etc etc etc.... i want to try my best to avoid that state and am more than willing to do extra work i just do not know what to do. I did very very well in my prelims and plan or hope on upholding my marks. I do the following subjects. If anyone could please tell me what to do for each which could be benefitial. By this i mean stuff extra, like things teachers dont give us.
Thanx alot guys, here are my subjects:

Advanced English
Extension 1 english
Maths advanced
Economics
Business
IPT
Studies of religion

Thanx again guys, if anyone wants to email me with anything they want to say my email is n_khoury88@hotmail.com

Cya and thanx

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
English: Start your essay writing as soon as you can for each module, keep writing up your essays and getting your teachers to mark them until they're 20/20 or whatever.
Maths: Start past papers once you've done a fair chunk of the course, and do as many of them as possible, and also make sure you understand each concept as you are learning it so you don't fall behind.
Other subjects: Do syllabus dot point notes as you learn them, by trials you should have a nice summary of the entire syllabus from which to revise.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i can reccomend looking up theorists for eng extn and even adv. i used theorits in all my adv essays and ended up with 99% as my total internal assessmark, the teachers just love it.

Bakhtin's dialogic i can recommend, go do some research on it
also Jacques Derrida's Deconstruction technique

also make your own, what i call a "pastiche list", its basically a list o words that will get u band 6, big verbose words, the first one on my list was pastiche, hence the name of the list
byt then end of year 12 i had about 50 and new the menanings of them all

thus for my english essay yesterday i could just spontaneously rip out bs lines like

the rhythmic brio of austen's prose transcends the parochial quotidian of the 19th century augustan context.

etc

just star practicing, it means u will ahve a lot less woryying wen it comes to approahcing exams / assessments etc

good luck

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You do realise that in order to gain marks the marker has to understand what you're saying:p

J

jhakka

leb_gend, it's not good to post the same thread in multiple forums. :|

My response is in the English Ext 2 copy of this post.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Screw your friends. Screw my friends. Given, my friends seem to be doing more study now, but I know what I need to do to succeed.

First, I do all my homework, if only to avoid pissing the teachers off (unless it is really crappy homework)

But for doing well:
Maths: PRACTICE!!! I'm doing Coroneos, Fitzpatrick and Patel exercises for 4 unit each night, and when we hit harder topics in 2 and 3 unit, I'll do the same for them.\
SDD/IPT: Screw computers. You don't use them in the exam. These bujects are all about the theory. Treat them as science subjects and make sure you can answer eahc dot point. I advise grabbing your text book(s) and summarising notes for each syllabus dot point.
English: Meh. Haven't cracked this one yet. Big words doesn't work if it is just big words alone. Given, though, USE your English teachers. Stuff work in their face, force them to tell yuo what's wrong with it.
Presumably for the other subjects, study the syllabi - it's what the exams are based on.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
For maths i suggest you take the time to download the resources on this site and slowly start working on them as the trials start approaching. For now your textbooks still good.

I cant really comment on how to really do well in English, if your like me then you will get heaps of ideas from exemplar samples, create your own essay for each module and memorise

For SOR, any help needed just come to the forum and one of the excellent high quality moderators will help you out

Estel

Tutor
HSC
English: Do NOT memorise essays
How bout actually learning how to write decent ones.

Memorisin will esp. get you shot down in Ext 1.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Estel said:
English: Do NOT memorise essays
How bout actually learning how to write decent ones.

Memorisin will esp. get you shot down in Ext 1.

Hahaha thats why i said i cant really comment on it because i m gonna get shot down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)