Help Me!! United Nations! (1 Viewer)

miranda

HSC
Hi all,

Well my smart teacher decided to choose United Natinos as our topic and my god i'm so unsurprised as to why people dont do it!
THERE'S NO BLOODY INFO! *scuse the swearing*
I'm going nuts here because of my incompetent teacher!
SOMEONE HELP ME!!

Anything at all would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Miz

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
What are you exactley asking? just in general or an actual question?

miranda

HSC
Ahhh right okay - particuarly:

- Role of USA in the UN
- Role of the UN at the end of the 20th century
- War crimes tribunal

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
- Role of USA in the UN
The US has a permanent seat on the secuirty council (with UK france Russia & china) and therefore veto power, during the cold war this was a major thing, the US would veto anything that would help the USSR, the USSR would veot anything that would help the US

- Role of the UN at the end of the 20th century
The UN is the worlds only tribunal where all nations can talk at a forum. to some extent the UN has been a catalyst for human rights improve,ment, however at the end of the day it is up to the domestic government to creat the real change via legislation (state soverignty).
The un is NOT a world parliament.
The UN is NOT an international police force
Many natiosn disregarding the authority of the UN (US war on iraq)
However in many cases the UN has been effective in stablising/bringing change to a region: peacekeeping in East Timore, International sanctions (sporting and economic) bring down apartheid in south africa
Rwanda (1994): failure, resulted in deaths of 800,000 Rwandans

- War crimes tribunal
umm im not sure if you are talking about the International criminal court (ICC) or international court of justice (ICJ) or somthing else. i am thinking you mean ICJ as it is the pricipal judicial body of the UN
The ICJ is a court that consists of 15 judges that deal with violations on international laws and registered treaties. the ICJ also has an advisory role in resolving disputes in a peaceful manner with equal treatment of states. its effectiveness in achieving world order is limited as teh ICJ can only hear and decide cases between nations that recognise ites legal status.
the ICC was established with enforcement mechanisms as citizens from signatory nations are bound by its decisions/jurisdiction. it grw out from the Rome Statute (1998) and has been a permanent court in the Hague since 2002. however, the US is trying to sign treaties that would give them immunity from ICC prosecutions because it fears its citizens may be trialed for politically motivated reasons. by doing so it weakens the ICC's jurisdiction and ability to promote world order.

Im not sure if they answer your questions, if they do great if not sorry. ignore the stuff where it says world order (these notes are from legal studies). if you have any more questions ask, and myself or someone else will try and help.

star_mountain

HSC
if worse comes to worse, you could always do another topic, there is a fair bit of info you could get on the cold war, and arab israeli conflict. anyway, goodluck with your exam

sophb

i know!

i also have a stupid teacher and am having the same problems as u for the UN, so i am not much help! which case studies are you doing?

miranda

HSC
re - sophieb

hi!
damn teachers :(
case studies wise - congo and yugoslavia but that's not the prob for me cos we spent AGES on the case studies and barely ANY time on the rest of the course!!
i'm really worried because i'm 98% sure we'll get a quessie on the USA in the UN!! :( and we need to write a 30 mark essay on the bloody thing that i can barely find 2 paragraphs about!
much in need of help :(

miz

rama_v

HSC
UN's easy

We are doign the UN as well. Apparantley last year only 100 people did it. That puts u in good step to do wel in modern because youve got almost no competitors. Americas role is really easy, I thought it was hard but in actual fact the entire UN course is straightforward. The USA founded the UN, they help in humanitarian projects, they have a seat in teh SC, they make up large proportions of any peacekeeping forces, but also recently they have backed away from the UN due to the financial drain and also because they felt the UN was incompetent because it interfered in places where it didnt need to.

If you see the questions they can ask you, really they are all the same. The only quesitons they can ask you are:
1) The role of the UN in TWO separate conflicts - thats ur case studies
2) Americas role with the UN
3) The Organs of the United Nations - I have a feelign they might bring that one up. Our class split up the different organs to dfferent people and we all researched them and put them together. You should include specific examples of projects undertaken by UNICEF, IAEA, WHO, etc.
4) War Crimes Tribunal or the ICJ - if you get a question on th e ICJ its probably better not to do it, cause its very confusign and techinical. The War Crimes tribunal is also a bit technical and too long, I wouldnt do it.

mattchan

HSC
Yeah, my school is doing it as well :) Cold War probably would have been more interesting but ah well....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)