help me with my elective (SITACS ppl) (1 Viewer)

benno22

HSC
N/A
hey,

im half way through 2nd year BInfoTech (Network Systems + Management) degree and need to choose an elective for spring. In autumn I completed:
- CSCI204 - C Family and Unix
- CSCI212 - Interacting Systems
- ITCS206 - Markup Languages
- IACT201 - Information Technology & Citizens’ Rights

in spring i will be doing:
- CSCI213 - Java Programming and the Internet
- ECTE283 - Internet Technology 2
- IACT202 - The Structure and Organisation of Telecommunications

I need to choose 1 more subject for an elective (on the 200 level) but i have no idea what to do. Can anyone who has completed 2nd year subjects recommend an elective subject? Preferable one that isnt too intensive and maybe useful with 3rd and 4th yr subjects.

Subjects I'm thinking of doing include chosing one of the following:
- BUSS213 - Multimedia in Organisations
- CSCI262 - System Security

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
benno22 said:
hey,
I need to choose 1 more subject for an elective (on the 200 level) but i have no idea what to do. Can anyone who has completed 2nd year subjects recommend an elective subject? Preferable one that isnt too intensive and maybe useful with 3rd and 4th yr subjects.

Subjects I'm thinking of doing include chosing one of the following:
- BUSS213 - Multimedia in Organisations
- CSCI262 - System Security

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben.
You want to do CSCI262.
BUSS as a rule is really easy, but CSCI262 is a really fun subject. You learn passwording and ports and such. Very fun. To be honest, it was probably one of my favourites. You can't go wrong with it either.

Yay security!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I am doing the same course as you but a different major so I only have 3 subjects next session.
I am going to add one of the subjects I need to do next year because I have too many for 4 per session for the last 2 years.

My choice is going to be based almost completely on whether or not it is going to fit into my timetable. My three subjects already take up 3 days and I want to avoid a 4th day or else I'm going to need to skip a lecture to only have 3 days.

My suggestion is that you look up the times and pick a subject that fits best into your schedule.

DooGseY

HSC
Is it possible to do a 3rd year subject that runs both sessions now and do ECTE282 autumn next year? I'd suggest that because its really interesting and gives you an excellent understanding of internetworking theory and network design.

benno22

HSC
N/A
poloktim said:
You want to do CSCI262.
BUSS as a rule is really easy, but CSCI262 is a really fun subject. You learn passwording and ports and such. Very fun. To be honest, it was probably one of my favourites. You can't go wrong with it either.

Yay security!

with CSCI262 what are the assignments and exams like? how much programming is involved and or any maths? Can you give me a quick run down of the content and how the subject goes?

Thankks

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
benno22 said:
with CSCI262 what are the assignments and exams like? how much programming is involved and or any maths? Can you give me a quick run down of the content and how the subject goes?

Thankks
There were four assignments when I did it:

Assignment One: Create a client/server login program. We got given the source code for MD5 so all we had to do was create a program to log in. We could write it in either Java, C or C++. The assignment was to emphasise passwording and salting. I lost 0.5 marks on it because I submitted a bad makefile. The tutor could've given me 0, so I was very lucky.

Assignment Two: This was done using C++ and a Windows compiler. The compiler doesn't check for buffer overflows, so it was what was needed. The idea of the assignment was to create a program that could allow a user to attack it using a buffer overflow. Probably the easiest of all the assignments (I'm not kidding this one was really simple).

Assignment Three: This was a rule based "firewall" program we had to make. We connected to a server (in practice they connect to us) and we had to monitor usage of the network. If a rule was broken we alerted. We weren't given the source of the attacker, just a java .class file (which is really easily ran). In fact, I believe a BoSer might've been responsible for creating that class! Anyway, again it was client/server and I thought it was simple enough. The most difficult part would be creating a syntax for the config file.

Assignment Four: This was database security. You had to create a series of SQL scripts. This was a hardcopy assignment. If you had done CSCI235 it was really simple, if not, well perhaps you should know SQL anyway (regardless everybody gets a crash course in SQL required for the assignment, anyway).

The exam was a typical CSCI exam. That being said, in the review lecture we were told no questions would be asked on rootkits (a small topic) and well, there was a question on rootkits worth a few marks.

It's not a really simple subject, but it's heaps interesting!

Terra_Niux

l337 h4x0r
HSC
N/A
BUSS subjects are pretty much a guarenteed HD most of the time, I can't wait to do Security :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)