HELP!! - Music for small ensembles assignment (1 Viewer)

music dr

the little mermaid
HSC
hey guys! i'm in yr 10 and have a music assignment about music for small ensembles and we have to pick either
1. jazz
2. rock
3. pop
4. a small instrumental or vocal ensemble of ur choice
and we have to discuss the main features of ur chosen topic w/ reference to the concepts of mucis, history, and important examples. it has to be 3 A4 pages long.

any ideas as to what i can do? i am from a classical background and am NOT fond of pop, but i like the unusual, but something with info out there.

any sugestions are apreasiated (sp?)

Thanks....

kylie_robbo

How about a vocal ensemble?

It doesn't have to fit into a genre, and there are plenty of good examples to fit anything.

You said you are from a classical background: stick with what you know, and use vocals to help.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
hey you should do stuff on jazz ensembles because with jazz you can do heaps of research and find out heaps of interesting information, but with rock and pop, you cant really study them in depth if you know what i mean. You see, if you had to do a concept based analysis on pop songs, you wont be able to talk much in detail. Why dont you find out about Gerry Mulligans pianoless quartet or somthing its much more interesting and they actually have a significant influence in the history of music...

chepas

HSC
If you're from a classical background, how about a string quartet for the small instr. ensemble? There's no shortage of them. Maybe even choose Vivaldi's Four Seasons and then tear that apart, on that piece of music there will be a wealth of info out there on the net/books etc because it's so famous and used everywhere.

It's also very easy to analyse with the concepts. Terraced dynamics, thematic development with ritornelloes/ritornelli etc...

www.classical.net - I found this helpful as a starting point on 1600-1900 composers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)