Help!!! Need help for acceptance and understanding section in belonging!! (1 Viewer)

kchapman

HSC
Hey.... My teacher set us this question for our english essay "True belonging is dependant on acceptance and understanding". Comment on this statement with reference to your perscribed text and one related text of your own choosing.

My text given is 'Romulus, My Father' by Raimond Gaita and related text is 'We Are Going' by Oodgeroo Noonuccal...

If anyone has any pointers on how to relate this to the landscape and environment i would be eternally gratefully!! Thanks heaps :)

DamTameNaken

HSC
Page 61 of Romulus My father Raimond discovers the 'key' to appreciating the Australian landscape, this new acceptance and understanding of the environment allows him to appreciate it and belong to it.

Romulus is never able to accept nor understand the Australian environment 'to a European or English eye it seems desolate' (page 14).

Of course the question isn't as well suited to place, the obvious ideas that come to mind is in how Christine is never understood and can't belong ('provided the wrong conceptual environment for her to find herself and for others to understand her', bottom of page 103).

Romulus and Hora are able to belong based on their shared understanding, page 101: 'Character -or Karacter... was the central moral concept for my father and Hora'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)