Help needed choosing universities! (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
So I plan on moving to Melbourne, and going to university there.
Except I have absolutely no idea which one to go to and which is the best for me to get into Medicine.
Like for a university here, the medical sciences course for the first year and then I can sit the GAMSAT and get into Medicine the next year, provided I pass.
Is there something similar to that for Melbourne unis?
Also will the UMAT count? And would my ATAR still be the same once I move? :/
I've heard that UMelb, Deakin and Monash are good universities but I have no idea. :/

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Sit down, take some time and research the various uni websites and acers website for info on umat and gamsat.

So I plan on moving to Melbourne, and going to university there.
Except I have absolutely no idea which one to go to and which is the best for me to get into Medicine.
I can only speak for UMelb and Monash
Like for a university here, the medical sciences course for the first year and then I can sit the GAMSAT and get into Medicine the next year, provided I pass.
Please do some research on the differences between UMAT and GAMSAT.
UWS does using UMAT. USyd don't. UNSW requires you to complete BMedSci + UMAT
Is there something similar to that for Melbourne unis?
umelb - definitely no. monash - pretty sure no
Also will the UMAT count? And would my ATAR still be the same once I move? :/
umelb - no. monash - ugrad entry, yes. Yes
I've heard that UMelb, Deakin and Monash are good universities but I have no idea. :/
*shrugs*

You better hurry up, UMAT registrations close at 5pm today

HSC
N/A
I've registered for UMAT a while ago~
For USyd, I don't understand what you mean. That was the uni I was talking about.
And okay, I've been reasearching about VTAC recently as well.
Should I maybe contact the unis?
And thank you.:)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
USyd needs an ATAR of 99.95 for entry along with an Interview, there's no UMAT or GAMSAT or anything else required.

HSC
N/A
USyd needs an ATAR of 99.95 for entry along with an Interview, there's no UMAT or GAMSAT or anything else required.
Medicine, right?
Yeah, :/ I'm going to need to find alternate ways to get into Med.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
UMelb is post graduate.
It is becoming the more favourable option by the Australia universities now (and for good reason I assume - I can see the benefits for both the students and the university), like many universities in the Asia-Pacific region and further overseas.

HSC
N/A
Ahh, I think I'd rather do the long way, even though GAMSAT is going be exceptionaly painful. :/
I'm thinking of just trying to do as best as I can, and then once I get my ATAR, I'll kinda decide what to do?
Although I'll have to put down my choices beforehand.. :/
Argh, I'm so confused and tired. -.-

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
You should know by now if you're looking at getting 99.95. There are what, 30? y12 entry positions for usyd med

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought it was a bit more than 30, not that it really matters.

On the contrary, post-graduate at USyd is tempting.
I honestly dont get the point of spending 7 years in uni doing 2 Bachelor Degrees, followed by intern/training etc... waste of time imo

eg. Someone told me about their friend who's been through 2 bachelor degrees trying to get into med, and finally did last year, that's already 6 years wasted, plus another 4-5 years for med itself, 10 years at uni which makes no sense.

With that said, just do what you want to, or you'll regret it later.

HSC
N/A
I thought it was a bit more than 30, not that it really matters.

I honestly dont get the point of spending 7 years in uni doing 2 Bachelor Degrees, followed by intern/training etc... waste of time imo

eg. Someone told me about their friend who's been through 2 bachelor degrees trying to get into med, and finally did last year, that's already 6 years wasted, plus another 4-5 years for med itself, 10 years at uni which makes no sense.

With that said, just do what you want to, or you'll regret it later.
I'm pretty sure I won't be getting 99.95. But my goal is to get into med some how.
It doesn't matter about the amount of years wasted for me [as long as it's not a ridiculous amount of years]. I'm determined to get there.
I just want info on how I can get there? Like if I want to do the long way, what Bachelor Degrees can I take?
Not just at USyd but at the other unis in Syd and Melb.
:S

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I know (I may be wrong), you can pick up any degree, and keep applying as an Under grad with the UMAT until you dont finish the degree (provided you're doing well in the degree), most people do pick science, but any degree works. If you end up completing the degree you'll be going the post grad way with the GAMSAT, and if you fail to get in you'll have to pick up another under grad degree and keep trying.

In Sydney the Uni's for under grad med are UNSW and UWS, not sure about Melbourne.

HSC
N/A
As far as I know (I may be wrong), you can pick up any degree, and keep applying as an Under grad with the UMAT until you dont finish the degree (provided you're doing well in the degree), most people do pick science, but any degree works. If you end up completing the degree you'll be going the post grad way with the GAMSAT, and if you fail to get in you'll have to pick up another under grad degree and keep trying.

In Sydney the Uni's for under grad med are UNSW and UWS, not sure about Melbourne.
Okay, :S I'm alright with doing the UMAT [except Sect 3 is horrific], already applied for this year.
I'm more worried of doing GAMSAT when/if I do the way you just told me.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
As far as I know (I may be wrong), you can pick up any degree, and keep applying as an Under grad with the UMAT until you dont finish the degree (provided you're doing well in the degree), most people do pick science, but any degree works.
I know UWS allow you to transfer to med with UMAT, the others I'm not sure about.

If you end up completing the degree you'll be going the post grad way with the GAMSAT, and if you fail to get in you'll have to pick up another under grad degree and keep trying.
Your on the right track but no.
GAMSAT cutoff scores vary between years, if your GAMSAT score isn't good enough you can try again next year in fact (a good number of people sit GAMSAT twice as scores are valid for 2 years).

If your GPA doesnt meet the cutoff (which doesn't change), some unis will take into account postgrad (phd/masters) results

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, :S I'm alright with doing the UMAT [except Sect 3 is horrific], already applied for this year.
I'm more worried of doing GAMSAT when/if I do the way you just told me.
For section 3, get your hands on a Mensa puzzle book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)