help needed on 2 dot points (1 Viewer)

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
Hi, all. i am doing revision on syllabus dot pts for my half yearly, could anyone help me on the following dot points,please?
1Analyse information from secondary sources such as computer simulations, molecular model kits or multimedia resources to model the polymerisation process
2.Process information from secondary sources such as molecular model kits, digital technologoes or computer simulations to model the addition of water to ethylene, the dehydration of ethanol

My chem teacher actually skipped these two points due to the limitation of our science equipments(lack of high tech*sigh*) altho she said it quite likely appears in HSC coz this kind of question hasn't occured so far

I'll be very appreciated if you could hlp.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I skipped these dot points. Pretty bloody simple aren't they? Picture it in your head if you didn't get to play with model kits.

You know the polymerisation process, now picture two ethene molecule, open the double bond on both, add these two together through addition and repeat a few thousand times, roughly.

For the addition of water to ethene, picture ethene, open up the double bond and add a hydrogen atom to one side and a hydroxy functional group to the other. Voila.

This is basically all we did in class with model kits. I don't THINK we did anything wrong.

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
thank you

Thanx Slide Rule, but you can't write like that in your HSC, can you?
I think there are several things you need to talk about:
1)what you used
2)how you did it
3)adv/disadvantages of the model u used (eg limitations)
4)what you learnt from it
But our school don't hav the right simulation tech, so we couldn't do it in class :(
Could anyone who has done these dot pts provide some suggestions?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
if u want to get specific, molecular kits can't really exactly depict what is happening on a molectular level... electrons move abt, they do not stay in "rigid" bonds as indicated by the kits...

also it's hard to show polarity and dispersion of elctrons....

adv. well u get a picture of wut's happening...

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
Can they actually ask us a question in the HSC on that kind of thing? i.e. model kits

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
thunderdax said:
Can they actually ask us a question in the HSC on that kind of thing? i.e. model kits
well... according to success one HSC (revised for 2003 syllabus changes)... You can be asked such a question

This is question 47 from the P.O.M module examination:

( Q ) Justify the appropriateness of using sources such as computer simulations and molecular model kits to model the polymerisation process

( 6 marks )

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
aren't "computer simulation"&"molecular kits" two different methods? I think the syllabus only require you to know one of them right?

In the solution that was provided in Success One, it only says the "appropriatenes" but the q asks you to "justify"-do u hav to talk about their limitations as well?

~*Shell*~

hey, how we did that in class was we modelled it with toothpicks and playdough. Construct the shape of ethene, and break the double bonds and add on the OH group and everything like explained before, but u build it with the tooth picks as the bonds, and small pieces of playdough as hydrogens, one oxygen (as a different colour) and carbons (as another different colour).
thats how we did it in class
hope it helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)