HELP NEEDED WITH~ advantages and disadvantages of cellulose over regular polymers (1 Viewer)

Amiel OSG

HSC
I Was wondering if there is anyone out there able to help me with this question, since my teacher is currently not able to come in and this is final part of my assignment which is due soon i was hoping for people who could leave suggestions on this matter; May it be answers or advice , I'm happy to receive any helpful feedback.
Thankyou~!

BlugyBlug

HSC
quick summary:

adv:
-renewable (because its grown from plants)
-carbon neutral (plants absorb the carbon dioxide during production)
-decomposes naturally unlike normal polymers
-therefore you can dispose of cellulose polymers much more easily than regular polymers

disadv:
-requires large plots of land to grow plants
-this means the environment must be cleared for fields
-expensive
-time consuming
-have to water the plants, etc

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^That's quite a good summary, in the exam, it is always a good idea to include HOW it is an advantage and an example of how this advantage is exploited - do similarly for disadvantages.

I'd also like to mention that its biodegradability could be a disadvantage as well by limiting its use to the short term and disabling its use in places like underground piping.

HSC
In theory, It will only be carbon neutral if you keep growing new crops to absorb the CO2 otherwise it will have the same effect as current petrochemicals. Maybe an example for your Time Consuming Disadvantage?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)