Help needed! (1 Viewer)

bfmv

HSC
N/A
Sorry if this has been asked before, but i couldnt find this question anywhere.

So its not likely that i will be able to get a UAI of 99+,so my chances of getting into comm/law at unsw or usyd is quite small. I was just wondering would it be better for me to just do comm/law at MQ or should i start commerce at unsw and apply to transfer after first year into comm/law at unsw or usyd if my grades are good enough?

Any help would be appreciated

Lara1986

HSC
bfmv said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but i couldnt find this question anywhere.

So its not likely that i will be able to get a UAI of 99+,so my chances of getting into comm/law at unsw or usyd is quite small. I was just wondering would it be better for me to just do comm/law at MQ or should i start commerce at unsw and apply to transfer after first year into comm/law at unsw or usyd if my grades are good enough?

Any help would be appreciated
If your heart is set on doing Law, personally I would go for the Comm/Law option as you have no guarantees that you'll be able to transfer from the non law degree to the law one, so at least this way you are in law to begin with.

If you are really keen to do law, it's better to be doing it another uni than you would ideally like than not doing it at all :)

04er

HSC
I agree with Lara1986. Also you can transfer to unsw/usyd if you have (approx) distinction average after first year.

bfmv

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your help guys. Is it really tough to achieve distinctions in law subjects?

Lara1986

HSC
bfmv said:
Thanks for your help guys. Is it really tough to achieve distinctions in law subjects?
Some it is harder than others. Like anything, it depends on your natural abilities/aptitude for the content and how much effort you put in.

From my experience, there are a few units that it is much harder to achieve distinctions in but for the most part - its definitely possible provided that, at a minimum, you do your best to keep up to date, study for exams as opposed to re-reading the textbook, participate in class discussions as you pick up a lot there and put in a decent effort on assignments (i.e. don't begin from scratch a day or 2 before, its fine to start writing a day or 2 before provided you have done all your research and reading in advance).

As a comparison, for example - I would say that the amount of effort I put in to achieving Ds/HDs in my business degree = the effort required to achieve a C/low D for the law degree. I suppose the big difference I found between effort required of a law degree vs my non-law degree would relate to the need for you to put in the effort, do the work yourself and actively participate as opposed to turning up to lectures and remembering content.

04er

HSC
Plus you only have to do like 2 law subjects in first year (versus 6 for commerce)... so it's pretty easy to make up for low law marks with your commerce side...

bfmv

HSC
N/A
Thanks lara and 04er.
Anyone else got an opinion?

doink

Clone
HSC
If you really want to do law the uni you go to shouldn't have any impact on your decision.

bfmv

HSC
N/A
Yeah i guess you're right, MQ is also a lot closer for me as well. Its just that in so many threads a lot of the senior law people are like its unsw/usyd on one level then mq on a lower level. I dont want my chances of working in a top law firm to be affected.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
04er said:
Plus you only have to do like 2 law subjects in first year (versus 6 for commerce)... so it's pretty easy to make up for low law marks with your commerce side...
I'm interested in doing a LLB/BIntS at UTS (with possible transfer to UNSW or USyd if I can manage a D average) - but if I remember correctly, their online handbook said that all your subjects for first year are law units. These would include Contracts, Torts, Criminal Law, Aus. Constitutional Law, Legal Research and Perspectives on Law.

Would it be really hard to maintain a first year D average in this degree given these would be your first year subjects?

04er

HSC
nandayo said:
I'm interested in doing a LLB/BIntS at UTS (with possible transfer to UNSW or USyd if I can manage a D average) - but if I remember correctly, their online handbook said that all your subjects for first year are law units. These would include Contracts, Torts, Criminal Law, Aus. Constitutional Law, Legal Research and Perspectives on Law.

Would it be really hard to maintain a first year D average in this degree given these would be your first year subjects?
Well its definitely hard, but not impossible, to get a D average. It all depends on your abilities and the amount of effort you put in. Without having done those subjects at UTS I can't say for sure how difficult they are, but those are generally the easier subjects in a law degree. I sure wish we only had 3 law subjects per semester...

Arithela

HSC
nandayo said:

hey, i dont think there are so many law subjects in 1st year at uts, last time i checked it was 2 law subjects.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Arithela said:
hey, i dont think there are so many law subjects in 1st year at uts, last time i checked it was 2 law subjects.
if i remember correctly, int. studies/law is taught in a different order to the other combined law programs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)