help...O and O3 (1 Viewer)

lilchezza

HSC
Okiez...seriously need help with this as it will be in a topic test.....

Compare the stability of O gas to that of O3, and the relationship of that (stability) with their bonds.

I have no idea :confused: all I know is O3 is more stable in water.....

knifewound

HSC
N/A
Riddle me this? Ozone or O, which is more stable and other stuff?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Ozone is comparatively more stable than the oxygen free radical. The oxygen free radical has an incomplete valence shell (with six electrons) and is hence very reactive as it wants to fill its valence shell and achieve stability. Ozone contains a double covalent bond and a coordinate covalent bond that gives all three atoms eight valence electrons. The full valence shells make it more stable than the free radical. However, the coordinate bond is weaker than an ordinary double covalent bond in diatomic oxygen so ozone is more reactive than ordinary oxygen.

I_F

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
answering the query on how ozone dissolves in water: note that the structure of O3 is bent. this in effect allows the molecule to become slightly polar, and hence, is able to hydrogen bond with water molecules. hence, it can dissolve in water.

i think the polar nature of ozone is explained by the each oxygen atoms' electronegativity and the spacing of electrons...not too sure about this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)