Maths is beautiful
HSC
outline some examples of the occurance, production and uses of ester
could anyone tell me what are some natural esters? :cool:

Last edited:

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
well... Esters occur naturally in the form of falvouring agents and scents. The odours and falvouring of fruits are caused by the presence of esters. Solid animal fats and plant oils are also natural esters.

SiMpLYiMaGiNaRy

15 days..
HSC
um do we actually need to know the exact names of specific esters and what their uses are? like..banana flavour or something :confused:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
SiMpLYiMaGiNaRy said:
um do we actually need to know the exact names of specific esters and what their uses are? like..banana flavour or something :confused:
No, but we do need to know how to name them when we're shown a structural formula, or draw the structural formula when we see a name. :)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
no, we do need to know what its used for. for example, octyl ethanoate is used as an orange flavour and butyl ethanoate is used as a fragrance in perfumes and that is also the smell you get in nailpolish remover. uses are important to know

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
no, we do need to know what its used for. for example, octyl ethanoate is used as an orange flavour and butyl ethanoate is used as a fragrance in perfumes and that is also the smell you get in nailpolish remover. uses are important to know
  • Outline some examples of the occurence, production and uses of esters.
Yeah, we need to give examples. But - we won't be given a list of esters and asked to identify what flavours they are. Know a couple of examples.

jarro_2783

HSC
physician said:
well... Esters occur naturally in the form of falvouring agents and scents. The odours and falvouring of fruits are caused by the presence of esters. Solid animal fats and plant oils are also natural esters.
Can you tell me how fats are esters. I thought esters were specifically the substances produced when an alkanol and an alkanoic acid are reacted. Then it gives the CH3(CH2)NCOO(CH2)NCH3 where N is a number depending on how long the chain is.

Beeswax is also a natural ester.

edit: my textbook agrees with you, but it doesn't actually say how.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)