Help on a simple question (1 Viewer)

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
A person stood on scales thqat were designed for the Earth whilst on Mars. The scale gave a reading of 50kg. Would the actual mass of the person be 50kg since the mass is independent of the location of the body right?
the part which confused me is that the basic principle involves in the scales actually measure our weight. Could anyone explain the answer to the q above plz?
Thanx in advance.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
The person's mass would be greater I think. If you consider that the scales are designed for earth then the scales respond to the force and give you a reading of your mass. To give you this reading on earth it has to, effectively, divide your weight force by 9.8.

Consider your weight force on earth to be We and your weight force on mars to be Wm. Then Wm < We since gravity is less on mars (I believe).

Your mass reading is obtained by dividing your weight force by 9.8 so your mass reading on earth = We/9.8 and your mass reading on mars = Wm/9.8 .

But, Wm < We so
Wm/9.8 < We/9.8

i.e your mass reading on mars < your proper mass reading on earth

Unless I've misunderstood how a scale works that should be a general way to reason it out, albeit long.

Antwan23q

God
HSC
Sirius Black said:
...which confused me is that the basic principle involves in the scales actually measure our weight. Could anyone explain the answer to the q above plz?
Thanx in advance.
The scales measure the actual weight, but its calibrated to read the mass of it.

helper

HSC
N/A
The persons mass will be the same but the scales will change what they read due to the calibration.

They read 50kg on Mars, means there is F=mg=50*9.8=490N pushing down on them (based on Earth's calibration).
To find your mass Fnet=490=mg(mars) As g mars is 3.77.
490=m*3.77
m=130kg

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
helper said:
They read 50kg on Mars, means there is F=mg=50*9.8=490N pushing down on them (based on Earth's calibration).
To find your mass Fnet=490=mg(mars) As g mars is 3.77.
490=m*3.77
m=130kg
wait a minute, I am getting more confused now. How could the man have same weight (net force) on both planets with diff. g?

helper

HSC
N/A
He doesn't.
The scales are calibrated for Earth. When they read 50kg, they have a net Force equal that of the weight force caused by a 50 kg mass on Earth. That is the first calculation. To determine what the net force is. The 50kg is not the real mass. It also isn't his weight on Earth.

As the net Force is equal to the Weight on Mars, where it is being measured. You can then calculate the mass of the object.

This is the mass the scales would read if they were on Earth.
The weight on Earth would be W=mg=130*9.8-=1272N

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)