Help on course choice... (1 Viewer)

dsam

HSC
Hey everyone,

I am a WA high school student and moving to Sydney next year. I would like to enter uni and I need help on which course to do that suits my interest. My passion is to become a humanitarian/welfare/charity worker that will lead to such major organisations like Red Cross and UNICEF. I currently have 2 courses that I have found that may help me reach that goal:

1. Bachelor of Global Studies – Univeristy of Sydney UAI: 2007 – 90.90

http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/degrees/globalstudies/Index.html

(enter in search for more detail)

2. Bachelor of Social Science - Humanitarian and Peace Studies – University of Western Sydney UAI: 2007 – 60.00

http://yourfuture.uws.edu.au/ug/social_sciences/humanitarian_peace

Now as you can see, the UAI score is a significant gap between the two courses. But UWS has a more specific course than the higher expectations of UniSyd in regard to my career goal. Although what are the advantages of studying Global Studies? Will it be better in giving me a broader career opportunity? I would like you to read the course outline and provide any feedback and honest opinions (also - other recommended universities appropriate for my goal?) My TEE/TER mark in WA aren't all that crash hot either lol.

To conclude, I have read many posts on this forum regarding the quality of UWS regarding social facilities and accomodation. I would like these 'rewards' but they seem to be more evident I n University of Sydney. What are people's thought's on this?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

:)

RTTTYTR

HSC
dsam said:
Hey everyone,

I am a WA high school student and moving to Sydney next year. I would like to enter uni and I need help on which course to do that suits my interest. My passion is to become a humanitarian/welfare/charity worker that will lead to such major organisations like Red Cross and UNICEF. I currently have 2 courses that I have found that may help me reach that goal:

1. Bachelor of Global Studies – Univeristy of Sydney UAI: 2007 – 90.90

http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/degrees/globalstudies/Index.html

(enter in search for more detail)

2. Bachelor of Social Science - Humanitarian and Peace Studies – University of Western Sydney UAI: 2007 – 60.00

http://yourfuture.uws.edu.au/ug/social_sciences/humanitarian_peace

Now as you can see, the UAI score is a significant gap between the two courses. But UWS has a more specific course than the higher expectations of UniSyd in regard to my career goal. Although what are the advantages of studying Global Studies? Will it be better in giving me a broader career opportunity? I would like you to read the course outline and provide any feedback and honest opinions (also - other recommended universities appropriate for my goal?) My TEE/TER mark in WA aren't all that crash hot either lol.

To conclude, I have read many posts on this forum regarding the quality of UWS regarding social facilities and accomodation. I would like these 'rewards' but they seem to be more evident I n University of Sydney. What are people's thought's on this?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

:)
As for UWS they offer most of their arts degrees at Penrith campus, where there is on site accommodation, however, it's not that close to the nightclubs in the city. Also I don't really see the need for any formal qualifications to be a charity worker.

dsam

HSC
Thanks for your reply RTTTYTR,

No, you don't need a university degree to become a charity worker but I like to expand my options that will lead me to a position in the field that I may consider in the future.

RTTTYTR

HSC
dsam said:
Thanks for your reply RTTTYTR,

No, you don't need a university degree to become a charity worker but I like to expand my options that will lead me to a position in the field that I may consider in the future.
Then the degree would really depend on what you want to do for the charity. Do you want to be involved in animal welfare (Then Vet studies would help), do you want to work with the ill (Nursing, Medicine, Science), do you want to be involved in infrastructure development (Engineering, building, town planning, etc), do you want to be involved in establishing microcredit loans (finance, accounting, economics)

dsam

HSC
Well this will be the toughest decision that has stopped me. I would like to study Humanitarian and Peace studies but considering what you said about the different areas of employment, where will this course lead me to then?

I would like to work with the ill but I doubt I will get into any Science/medicine course. Any advice?

HSC
why not go for nursing then? it kinda ties in with interest with working with the ill and you will get a job at the end of it. if you're worried about the uai requirements to do nursing they aren't that high. at uow its low 70's i'm not sure about other unis but they can't be that high, since nurses are needed everywhere.

Last edited:

Season

HSC
UMmmm with Red Cross most people start out being volunteers and they work their way up. I know as a casual volunteer I've been offered a lot of jobs just because I've been involved in the organisation and they've just said, hey you should apply for this, you'd get it.

But as for helping people, in pretty much any sort of work you can help people.

Engineers can work for Engineers without borders, lawyers can do work for legal aid, teachers can work in disadvantaged areas, you can start your own charity.

Helping people can be applicable to many degrees, you could probably pick any degree and make it applicable. When you apply for these agencies they are primarily wanting someone who wants to help- that is the qualification they are looking for. Not a fancy degree, volunteering or previous work experience would help yo more then anything.

Have you considered being a social worker perhaps? teacher? Nurse? etc.

I think you should check out www.myfuture.com.au there you can explore degrees related to your area of study, but you can also incorporate some of your other interests in there too.

dsam

HSC
Thanks for you replies so far -

I can work as a volunteer while doing uni. I don't think I can apply for a Engineering or Law course.

btw - is it too late to apply for UWS?

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)