Help on getting an Amrrican visa. (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Well I am planning to go to America at the end of the year for a while and I am having trouble finding the right visa for me. I went to this site and it gave me a little information. I can't really find a visa that I qualify for and will let me work over there though:(. So does anyone know someone who has done anything similar to what I want to do, or have any information that might help me? Also, if you know a good website please post it up here. Thanks:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Also, if you could tell me whether I should go to the American consulate, travel agent, or somewhere else please tell me because I have no idea. Thanks:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
pc_wizz said:
first ring the Consualte General's office ... you need to get an appointment nowadays ... :rolleyes: ..

anyways this is the site for visas on the consulate generals office http://usembassy-australia.state.gov/consular/visas.html

good luck ... :)
Thank you for that link pc_wizz:). According to these two quotes, it looks as though I have no chance of getting the Working Visa though:(:

To work legally in the US, non-residents must first locate an employer or sponsor who files a petition (form I-129) with the INS in the US. The petition must be approved before a visa application can be considered. Normally, as evidence of INS approval, applicants present the original INS notice (usually form I-797). This notice is normally sent to the prospective US employer who then forwards it to the applicant for presentation to the consulate with a visa application. Frequently, employers can arrange for INS to cable the consulate a notice that a petition has been approved. The consular officer can use that notice as the basis to process a visa application.
Finally, for the "back-packer," there is no provision in US immigration law for the "working holiday" visa, popular among Australians traveling to Canada or the UK. If visitors contemplate working casually during an extended excursion "walking about" North America, doing so would violate the terms of the tourist visas (B-1/2) they probably have applied for. Prohibited work includes working for family friends as a live-in baby sitter and any casual job that earns an income from US sources. For certain seasonal work such as at ski resorts and summer camps or as au pairs, there are some opportunities under the exchange visitor visa (J-1) program.
That is bad news. I am so angry right now! They make it so hard for you to gain a Working Visa over there:(.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
ember said:
I think it is quite a complicated process to get a working visa in the US. If you are going for only 90 days or less and only planning to be a tourist you can get a Visa Waiver form, which means you dont have to apply for a visa. However, if you are wanting to work over there I am not sure what options are available. I would talk to the US Consulate or maybe a travel agent could help also.
Yeah, thanks for your help, but it looks as though I definitely can't get a Working Visa:mad:. I don't know what I am going to do now:(.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
How long do you plan to stay there and have you secured the job yet?

chepas

HSC
Re: #1, you could try another set of forums at Lonely Planet: http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ . Try the America branch and maybe do a search for american visas, if not you can ask your specific question there. Also there are lots of links for this sort of thing through lonelyplanet.com etc...

But yeah, phoning the American consulate/embassy would still be the best option because then you hear it from them directly and can ask more specific questions, and theycan give you more specific answers. Hopefully they'll have a visa dept. The Germans had one at least when I called them :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Sarah168 said:
How long do you plan to stay there and have you secured the job yet?
I want to stay there for two to three years, longer if things go to plan. I haven't secured a job yet. I just want to go over there and work at a shop, bar, etc., but it looks as though that is illegal in America:(.

chepas said:
Re: #1, you could try another set of forums at Lonely Planet: http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ . Try the America branch and maybe do a search for american visas, if not you can ask your specific question there. Also there are lots of links for this sort of thing through lonelyplanet.com etc...
Thanks chepas, I will have a look at that website:).

chepas said:
But yeah, phoning the American consulate/embassy would still be the best option because then you hear it from them directly and can ask more specific questions, and theycan give you more specific answers. Hopefully they'll have a visa dept. The Germans had one at least when I called them :)
Do you think I should still ring even if the website clearly says I can't do it:)?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I just found this thread on that forum and it is as I thought. It is illegal to just go over there and look for work (as my previous quotes indicated):(.

chepas

HSC
^^ Yeah, it's illegal like that everywhere though I think, all need working permits etc but the US from what I've heard seems pretty tight and secure with their procedures if one just plans to sort of freelance - better to go through an agency or an exchange type company or something to get yourself sponsered maybe?

If you're planning for 2/3 years, maybe more, why not try applying for that Green Card lottery? That should take a few years to see what happens with putting your name down, though I'm not sure how that works, that might actually be for citizenship and not just for a working permit.

Re: Ringing the consulate/embassy, I still think thats the best option, because no matter how many websites you can go to and people you talk to online (like me...:rolleyes: ) the story can change dramatically, so probably I'd still be inclined to ring them and make sure 100%. Plus if you have any other questions that come as a result of the WHV problems, they can be answered then too.. Storytime...Because in my case, I wanted a German passport through my family, but with complex story, I wasn't sure - I talked to many people on ThornTree, and some gave me answers that I could get one, a lot of others said I couldn't.. So I finally rang the German embassy who gave me a straight answer, up-to-date to the point and clear.

So ringing still good option... hehe. Good luck! What are you going to work over for?

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
You can understand why they won't let people over if they don't have a job, though. Some people will just extend their visit without looking for a job. Ringing the Consulate to check out other options, maybe studying part time?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
chepas said:
^^ Yeah, it's illegal like that everywhere though I think, all need working permits etc but the US from what I've heard seems pretty tight and secure with their procedures if one just plans to sort of freelance - better to go through an agency or an exchange type company or something to get yourself sponsered maybe?
That is an option, to join one of those exchange programs, but it wouldn't really work for me:(.

chepas said:
If you're planning for 2/3 years, maybe more, why not try applying for that Green Card lottery? That should take a few years to see what happens with putting your name down, though I'm not sure how that works, that might actually be for citizenship and not just for a working permit.
You can only apply for that Green Card Lottery if you come from certain countries (mainly poorer countries):(.

chepas said:
Re: Ringing the consulate/embassy, I still think thats the best option, because no matter how many websites you can go to and people you talk to online (like me...:rolleyes: ) the story can change dramatically, so probably I'd still be inclined to ring them and make sure 100%. Plus if you have any other questions that come as a result of the WHV problems, they can be answered then too.. Storytime...Because in my case, I wanted a German passport through my family, but with complex story, I wasn't sure - I talked to many people on ThornTree, and some gave me answers that I could get one, a lot of others said I couldn't.. So I finally rang the German embassy who gave me a straight answer, up-to-date to the point and clear.

OK, I might give them a ring then:).

chepas said:
So ringing still good option... hehe. Good luck! What are you going to work over for?
Thanks:). Do you mean, what am I going over there for? I want to try to get into acting:).

Sarah168 said:
You can understand why they won't let people over if they don't have a job, though. Some people will just extend their visit without looking for a job. Ringing the Consulate to check out other options, maybe studying part time?
I suppose. I don't think they would let me in if I wanted to study either, besides, I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway:(.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Why do you want to go to America so much anyway? I've seen your American uni threads...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Sarah168 said:
Why do you want to go to America so much anyway? I've seen your American uni threads...
Merethrond said:
I want to try to get into acting:).
That is the main reason. Also, I have family and friends that have been there and they say it is great, so I want to see it for myself:).

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
okey doke. Have you looked up drama schools? Maybe you should check out schools in Australia first and see if they have links to US companies :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Sarah168 said:
okey doke. Have you looked up drama schools? Maybe you should check out schools in Australia first and see if they have links to US companies :)
Yeah, I have looked up quite a few acting schools in Australia, but I wanted to go to an American acting/drams class because they know exactly what the film industry wants, and for various other reasons:).

What do you mean by looking to see if they have links to American companies? That wouldn't be much help anyway:(.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I have no clue about drama schools but Im sure a prestigious company like NIDA would have international links. But im not sure lol

So what do u exactly plan to do upon landing? Just wander around to auditions? I think you should secure something before even applying for a VISA because not only does it provide some diretions and source of income if needed, but it would help in your applicaiton for the VISA itself.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Sarah168 said:
I have no clue about drama schools but Im sure a prestigious company like NIDA would have international links. But im not sure lol
I don't want a diploma in theatre, that will not make much of a difference to my employment prospects in America. I would have similar chances if I went to a drama school in Los Angeles for a couple of years. Plus, I don't want to spend that much time in Australia, I want to get to America as soon as possible:).

Sarah168 said:
So what do u exactly plan to do upon landing? Just wander around to auditions? I think you should secure something before even applying for a VISA because not only does it provide some diretions and source of income if needed, but it would help in your applicaiton for the VISA itself.
Haha, no I am not that stupid. I am applying for various jobs now, so that I can save up for a few months of accommodation. That will give me time to find a part-time job over there and get a feel for the place. The thing is, I can't really get a job over there unless I first locate an employer or sponsor who files a petition for me. Also, the job must be a one-off thing and there are various other conditions the job must match:(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)