Help on International Global Studies/Law at USYD (1 Viewer)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Ok, here is a little problem that I’d like to hear some thoughts on.
Prior to receiving my UAI, I had my mind set on an International Studies/Law course at UNSW.

I had researched a bit on international studies at UNSW, and found that one of the ‘specialization areas’ was ‘International Business’, taught by the UNSW Business Faculty. I thought this was the perfect choice for me, something that would allow me to study financial markets without having to go through the painful accounting/quantitative methods of a commerce degree (I did not do any maths in my HSC hence you can tell I have quite an aversion towards maths, nor would I like to do a bridging course).

Of course, I also researched a bit into International Studies at USYD, and found out that for 2009, they have completely revamped the course. The UAC booklet did not tell me much, and I was hesitant about doing a course that was essentially ‘new’. I am also unsure whether or not USYD international studies offers a major study of ‘international business’. That said however, USYD arts being the 5th best in the world is no mean feat.

To add to my dilemma, I was notified by USYD that I had received an Entry Scholarship ($6000 for one year) if I studied there. Combined with this, people were telling me that USYD law was still the best in Australia, telling me about its ‘prestige’ plus its new law building for 2009. However, I am quite attracted to UNSW’s ‘smaller level teaching’ as opposed to the one at USYD and the Good Universities Guide 2009 did rate UNSW Law above all the other Group of 8 universities, with UNSW law graduates having the highest starting salary.

Travel wise, both are quite similar and is not a huge problem for me.

Therefore I would be grateful if any of you people studying at either UNSW or USYD’s International Studies, could be able to tell me any experiences or recommendations of studying such a subject at these two universities,
  • Especially if USYD offers an equivalent to the ‘International Business’ UNSW has.
  • Which uni has a better law program when paired with international studies
  • What the first years study at international studies at UNSW and USYD. (I know the USYD International studies students study ‘Power and Money in Global Society’, ‘Perspectives on the Global’, ‘Current Global Issues’ and ‘Global Culture and Society’ and choose electives in Asian studies, American studies, political economy, sociology, etc), what do the UNSW kids study first year?
  • Lastly, are there any major differences between the two degrees?
Thanks!

janaranaran!

HSC
i have the arts handbook right here, one of the majors for B int and global studies at sydney is international business.

I'm planning on doing that degree, and even though it's 'new' most of the subjects wouldn't be I imagine because it's a combination of two older courses, b int studies and b global studies or something like that.

tasmina

HSC
I have exactly the same problem as you..except if I go to UNSW I'll receive 10K scholarship but USYD law seems pretty good as well :S

spence

HSC
Bear in mind that in the USyd handbook it says the major in International Business is 'subject to approval.' If you're set on that particular major, I'd reccomend you email the degree director (dick brian) and ask if you'd be able to do it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)