• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

help on my ext. history topic needed... (1 Viewer)

Keren

does n e 1 know how i could incorporate the domestication of the female middle class in 19th c and the "resexulisation" (if thats a word) of women in the 70s. (looking at gneers the female Eunuch and summers damned whores and gods police)
i wanna show how even though things changed when women got the vote and equal work and stuff there was still this veiw that women were the moral example for society. Mabey they are two completley diff. topics that wont go together i dunno... n e suggestions greatly appreciated.......xo.

sugared plum

HSC
ohh gender history!
this is sooo interesting & good!

but in what you just wrote there are some problems, for example, women in general have never been the "moral example" of a society , especially in the 19th things like the venerable diseases act all presupposed that women were spreading diseases, and all kinds of writings of the period especially in medical - mental health (basically to control women who didn't fit societal norms) present women as wicked, immoral, dirty, hysteric, and an affront to all rationality, and things which were presented as like men - the sciences etc.
however, there emerged images of a good woman, which was moral and motherly devoted.
and i am oversimplyfying things greatly, but yes.

the problem is that you have to look at historical accounts, the way history is written, not necessarily these concepts of female sexuality. but you can change it around without too much difficulty. oh, and word limits, you should probably try to stick to some kind of time/place frame.

also, when women got the vote, there wasn't 'equal work and stuff' as well.

i did something sort of similar - i used the case study of the women's suffrage movement in britain, and analysed hisotircal accounts of it and wrote about how history presented 'woman' . (at least, that's what i wrote in my synopsis) so i was sort of looking at feminist movements, and how they influenced the way history was written - i had writings from all periods

so yes, it is very messy and you have to figure it out carefully. you have to look at gender history stuff, as well as writing on whatever case study you choose. but if you just want to look at the 'sexualisation of women' then good luck! aha

PM me if you want some help or research etc

Keren

mmmm
ive realised it was all a bit general....now im thinking of looking at the three waves of feminism and where they came from and why there had to be there and why feminism outlook changed, in doing this i will stick to the middle class, as it seems to be a middle class phenonomen, and i will also trace it back to where it started (19thc.) i think there will b enough differing veiws on it all to develop a focus q.
thanks for your input, and i ask you for ure opinion after i do a bit more research. i really need to read up on the topic to get a feel for it all.
xo.

PhiL

Are you people only choosing your topics now??? We had to do ours ages ago, and our proposals. Ive already written my first draft for my project. Such a relief...

Keren

extemely unorganised school...... our class only got started at the end of last term and our teacher is very slow... our proposal is due in a few weeks... oh well i'll get there, and as for u, u jst suck!
lol

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
hehe we handed in our proposal the last day of the year last year!.. I'm doing something quite similar for my PIP (Personal Interest Project- society and culture) I'm doing how the feminist movement has changed and whether it's relevant to today's young women.. i'd love to chat! :) u can email me at chickadee_ness@hotmail.com, if u want, i have a few sources...
-Ness

Marieze

HSC
N/A
howdy

we did our proposals at the end of last yr too....bu that doesnt mean i was happy with my topic :p:p ive changed around 20 times!! that 70s one is good!! btw, but i think its a lil general, and it mite be hard to find historians cause its kinda recent but yeh GOOD LUCK!

Keren

yeah, thanks... that would be good if you got any suggestions i,d b greatful..... ive slightly changed my focus.. im lookin at the three waves of feminism and why they all came about, should be good.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
we have another 3 weeks till our proposal is due...but im not too worried about it yet, cos the pressure in ext hist is not unreasonable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)