Help on the most common questions (1 Viewer)

bradical

Identify ONE human rights issue, and assess the effectiveness of legal measures in addressing this human rights issue.

and

Explain the role of international law in the protection of Human rights in Austrlia. I always fail these questions:(

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
There is no essay for law and society or human rights, essay's are for the last 2 parts, but one human rights issue is the aslyum seekers there should be plenty of resources on the web

Basically just remember the whole text book okay...

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Err my bad,

Because i so remember i received this question from my teacher or through a test

Anyways good luck, im off

top_gun

The first one, I'd go with something like child sex tourism in Asia, and how the legal system has tried to clean it up but its still a big problem area.

meh

Mandatory Sentencing; goes against judicial discretion
the legal measures where the fed cov excersing section 51, overiding state law

effectiveness of international law protecting human rights
well, aust signs international declerations eg Universal Dec of HR, UNCROC, ratifies them and sometimes enacts them into our legislation which is effective
what is ineffective, is that international law can almost never be enforced, the countries do not have to comply if they do not want to; so if Aust doesn't feel like complying like with refugees, countries can't really do alot exept diplomaticaly oppose and impose sanctions.

Moonfrog

HREOC= Human Rights and Equal Oppotunties Commission- not a treay

CROC= Convention on the rights of the child- a treaty

adamj

Mandatory sentencing is not a contemporary human rights struggle, becuase the rule of law states that the law applies equally. Issues include, slavery, trade unions, etc...

adamj

Originally posted by meh
Mandatory Sentencing; goes against judicial discretion
the legal measures where the fed cov excersing section 51, overiding state law

effectiveness of international law protecting human rights
well, aust signs international declerations eg Universal Dec of HR, UNCROC, ratifies them and sometimes enacts them into our legislation which is effective
what is ineffective, is that international law can almost never be enforced, the countries do not have to comply if they do not want to; so if Aust doesn't feel like complying like with refugees, countries can't really do alot exept diplomaticaly oppose and impose sanctions.
This statement is confused. You have confused Mandatory dentention which the states apply, to the federal government and their constitutional powers for immigration. It is not a human rights issue.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Mandatory sentencing is an issue for the crime section, not law & society.

However, you will almost certainly be asked about a contemporary human rights issue, the most common is Mandatory Detention of asylum seekers and the human rights this violates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)