HELP! Our class has not done ANY theory the whole year! (1 Viewer)

armenchik

HSC
Our teacher has not taught us ANY theory the whole year, all we have done is make our Body of Work, with crappy portfolios.

How the hell do we study for the HSC exam with less than 3 weeks remaining!

We dont know ANYTHING about what the hell they talk about on the exam paper!

Any tips please!
My class needs help desperatly!

bettina44

HSC
i would get the excel revise in a month book but i guess it wouldn't be sufficient enough so you might also wanna get work off your teacher. the exam consists of two section.the first question has three parts worth 5,8,12 marks usually it one of each:art practice,conceptual and the frames.i would say write about half an a4 page on part a,a page on b and one and a half on c.in the second section you choose one question out of the nine,there's three of each.you will need to know at least two artist and their work and write an essay about it.i would strongly reccommend you to prepare for this one.
as to what to write:
-art practice is what they made it out of,how they made it,what influenced them etc
-conceptual is the relationship between the artist and the audience,how they respond to the world etc.
-the frames come under structural,cultural,postmodren and (i can't quite think of the other one)its stuff like the things depicted in the artwork,the style,colours etc
so hope this help and gl
and another thing,if you get stuck and don't know what to write, bs it,if you can justify it'll be right

Last edited:

armenchik

HSC
Thankyou for your advice.

Yes i do have the revise in a month and i went though it once already and it wasnt clear. Im going to go though it again.
As for section 2 i have essays for three artisits Leonardo LaVinci and Trevour Nikkels/Gordon Bennet.

I might be able to bs my way though the first section.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
armenchik said:
Thankyou for your advice.

Yes i do have the revise in a month and i went though it once already and it wasnt clear. Im going to go though it again.
As for section 2 i have essays for three artisits Leonardo LaVinci and Trevour Nikkels/Gordon Bennet.

I might be able to bs my way though the first section.
you need a hell of a lot more artists to talk about then that for your essays 6-8 is good.

armenchik

HSC
Do you recommend any artists? And what i should talk about in regards to them?

cocolossil

HSC
I suggest looking up art movements and printing out a time line.
You should get familiar with Renaissance art (artists like Titian- remember to actually quote artworks they have created), Abstract Expressionism, Cubism, Surrealism, Fauvism, Pop Art etc.
First of all get familiar with Indigenous Art! this has been in almost every art exam. Research Papunya and its significance then have a contemporary artist like Michael Riley to compare and contrast with.
Also Ancient Chinese & contemporary art comes up alot too.
Know Feminism; artists such as Artemisia Gentileschi, Barbara Kruger, Cindy Sherman, Julie Rrap, The Guerilla Girls etc.
With feminism remember to talk about "the gaze", refer to the positions and stances and also how they have changed from traditional times. Compare them to (for example) Titian's work and mention the passive nature of the female in his paintings. Also you can refer to Michaelangelos "David" as a contrast to how the male figure's stance was. Remember to mention that they were portrayed as domineering.
Also get to know the Dada movement.. you can tie this movement in with alot of others, it is very significant. Mention the artist Marcel Duchamp and his readymades esp. "The Fountain".
Robert Rauschenberg is also a good artist to use for Art practice.. he uses found objects in his art making.

Remember these are all suggestions.. if you have a favourite artist and you know them well.. you can tie them into an essay just make sure they are relevant.

For the first section of the paper.. know your principles such as: line, shape, colour, texture.. all of those. Try and mention as much as possible about the pictures relating it to the captions provided & proving the relevance of them eg. if it was the 1916-1920 it could be the Dada art movement & you could make reference to the war happening at the time (remember to make reference to the artwork too!).

There is usually contemporary works in the first section as well so familiarise yourself with installation works and all of that.

Don't stress too much.. just make sure you know your art movements and you can quote artists as well as artworks.. its not really about quantity its about quality. If you can talk about (in-depth) at least a few artists thats just as good if not better than writing about a dozen or more.

Hope I helped.

Oh yes and look up the frames! Cultural, post-modern, subjective & structural
relate them to every work you mention but dont just state this comes under the cultural frame, explain why it does & how.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
armenchik said:
Do you recommend any artists? And what i should talk about in regards to them?
Good ones to talk about include:

-Duchamp: particularly 'fountain'

-Franz Marc: look at 'die bleu riter' art movement, really interesting stuff

-Mondrian: Look at the movement 'De Stilj" is really good to contrast with 'die bleu riter' as were both on at the same time with the same concepts but are really different

-Goya: Arguably the beginning of modernisim, real fucked up guy towards the end

- Chapman brothers: this shit is full on and fucked up, These guys are a really really really good substitute for Warhol, which the markers have heard a bazillion times, they look at materialism and consumerism etc. best artwork: Zygotic acceleration, desubliminal something or other....

Try to avoid Warhol, Bill Henson and Jackson Pollock only talk about Picasso if you have a real good arugument.

tangotrace

SUPER HERO
HSC
um... our class has been told to major in 2 artists and one other to support... you need to be able to go into depth really well... 1.5 hours isn't long enough do sect 1 plus an essay in depth of 4+ artists... unless your a super genious. mm... that's my little bit of advice. also, try and use your BOW influence artists as your already going to know about them and their practice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)