• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help out a prospective engineer (1 Viewer)

hectic18

HSC
N/A
Hello!

Well, it's preference time. I'm considering eng/com and eng/sci degrees at UNSW, UTS, and USYD - BE (civil or mechanical), BCom (not certain on what I want to major in), BSci (Computer science). I've got some doubts which have arisen since the unsw/usyd/uts open days, so It'd be really nice if you guys could help out :)

1. One thing that I have noticed is that while all the single degrees have their own various diff. majors, with their own diff. UAC codes, the eng/com or eng/sci degrees have just the one code with no majors mentioned. Is this only done to save space or something? lol :S

2. It seems that UTS does not offer a BE/BCom, but a BE/Bbusiness. Is this UTS' fancy name equivalent for a Be/Com? :confused: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/eng/ug/c10065.html
http://community.boredofstudies.org...50/bachelor-business-v-bachelor-commerce.html - this thread didn't help that much, a 9v9 poll lol

3. From what I've gathered it seems like the 1st year of engineering is all basic, common stuff. If this is the case, then what is the point of a Flexible First Year? Wouldn't it still be the same as changing your major (e.g. from civil eng to mechanical) even if you didn't have the FFY?

4. Is it possible to double up a Bcom or BE with a flexible first year at usyd/unsw/usyd? I asked a lecturer at UNSW, he didn't really know lol

5. What do you think about a BE/BSci (com sci)? I've heard that engo proggies will have to be made. Would a BSci be helpful in this regard? I don't do software for hsc btw (I do 4U Math, Adv Eng, Phys, Chem) but I've always had an interest with computers.

Cheers!

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
You can do FFY/Commerce at USYD for sure.

You just have to declare earlier if you want to do chemical (I didn't do it right so I have to overload 6CPS in sem 2 next year) but other than that you should be right.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)