• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help.... Paper 1 Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

danz90

HSC
I would really appreciate some advice on some of my pre-prepared ideas for Section 2 Paper One - exam is tomorrow!

- In the half yearly, I wrote a story about a guy who is fed up of city life and city people... and goes 'into the wild', living a life in the jungle until he finds this tribe in the jungle who he decides to live with, who accept him as a genuine person, yada yada... was quite short.

Im thinking of tweaking this story abit, since the advice from the marker was that it seemed the purpose for entering the jungle was weak.
- The city is being quarantined due to a mutant virus, and this guy luckily escapes, with the rest being exterminated... he then ventures into the jungle (and story continues as above)

My second idea is based on a teenage boy who escapes a death/concentration camp in a communist country... and ventures through the jungle.. where he encounters problems such as starvation, dehydration, being bitten by poisonous snake, etc. Then finally makes it to a town in the neighbouring country where he is saved etc etc. I'm thinking of structuring this as a diary entry or serious of journal logs/entires?

My third idea is a group of kids who decide to go on a road trip around Australia - encounter problems here and there, car breaks down, really bad weather, but also embrace rewarding aspect of scenery. They have no maps and just drive into the wild...

I really feel like writing section 2 as a diary entry or series of journal logs/entries? What do you guys think...

I would really really really appreciate any advice...

brookeemma

HSC
my story is written in diary form, which works well... depending on the story

i did a cr wri workshop which said to "write about stuff you know about"
therefore id avoid the concentration camp... and the virus. go with the trip around aus :)

experiment with different forms - ie, straight narrative, non-linear, diary, etc...

good luck!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
danz90 said:
I would really appreciate some advice on some of my pre-prepared ideas for Section 2 Paper One - exam is tomorrow!

- In the half yearly, I wrote a story about a guy who is fed up of city life and city people... and goes 'into the wild', living a life in the jungle until he finds this tribe in the jungle who he decides to live with, who accept him as a genuine person, yada yada... was quite short.

Im thinking of tweaking this story abit, since the advice from the marker was that it seemed the purpose for entering the jungle was weak.
- The city is being quarantined due to a mutant virus, and this guy luckily escapes, with the rest being exterminated... he then ventures into the jungle (and story continues as above)

My second idea is based on a teenage boy who escapes a death/concentration camp in a communist country... and ventures through the jungle.. where he encounters problems such as starvation, dehydration, being bitten by poisonous snake, etc. Then finally makes it to a town in the neighbouring country where he is saved etc etc. I'm thinking of structuring this as a diary entry or serious of journal logs/entires?

My third idea is a group of kids who decide to go on a road trip around Australia - encounter problems here and there, car breaks down, really bad weather, but also embrace rewarding aspect of scenery. They have no maps and just drive into the wild...

I really feel like writing section 2 as a diary entry or series of journal logs/entries? What do you guys think...

I would really really really appreciate any advice...
i think a diary entry would work well with what your doing, but be careful, its very easy to screw up diary entries and make half of what you write pointless dribble.

On that note, dont get to focussed on the actual events in the story, make sure a large part is given to the characters thoughts and feelings. This gives you a good opportunity to experiment with language techniques and patterns of imagery, it also gets the marker to give a shit about your characters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)