HELP: picking subjects - do i do chemistry if i'm thinking about medicine?? (1 Viewer)

__fifi123__

HSC
Hello, can you please help me. I am in year 10 and need to pick subjects next week.
One of my career path options is in medicine. Chemistry is assumed knowledge for most places and a prerequisite for a few.

I would do science except my school has a really bad science department and never does well in science. for example in the last 3 years there has been one band 6 for chemistry. It's also not enjoyable at the moment because we are barely learning anything and it's turning me off it. My teacher told me I'm placed 2nd at the moment.

I'm currently at 12 units and they are
Maths Ext 1 (accelerated), English Ext 1, Religion 2U, Economics, french continuers.

I'm just not sure whether to do chemistry as well to make it 14, I can always drop it if I don't like it. My other option is business to make 14U as I'm interested in it.

So my question is, do i do chemistry? or if not do i add business

thanks so much

Last edited:

saraahhpp

HSC
If you want to do Medicine and it is a prerequisite I would recommend choosing it. If you are worried about getting bad marks to try to get a tutor. One thing to remember that year 11 and 12 is very different in the way teachers teach and the amount of effort teachers put into work. If you don'. choose chemistry some universities can offer classes. Choose what you think you are most interested in.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The stoopid ATAR (UAI, TER ...) thing has distorted students' choice of subjects. If I were planning to do Medicine, I certainly would choose Chemistry, rather than subjects like French Continuers, Religion that have little direct bearing on Medicine.

If your school is hopeless in Science teaching, consider getting outside tutoring, if you can afford it. Else, study yourself - if you are good enough for Medicine, you should be smart enough to do that, if necessary.

Good luck.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
^ Agreed. You're doing accelerated math and you're coming second in chem, so it stands to reason that you're probably more than capable of grabbing a textbook and studying yourself. Never really understood the argument of placing the blame on schools with poor teachers, since it's not their job to spoonfeed students. If they suck, then just read the textbook. During my HSC, I skipped almost all my phys/chem classes, and just learnt it myself.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah would recommend you do the chemistry because the syllabus has been changed significantly, so the stuff you learn now will actually give you a fairly big head start on people who don’t do it. Because many of the topics that you learn in first uni chemistry are actually fairly similar to this new syllabus but harder at uni because you actually go more into detail. So if you have that base you will breeze through it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)