Help please: B comm/B sci usyd (1 Viewer)

phagocyte

HSC
I got an offer at UNSW for the same course but I am not allowed to take a double major for the Commerce component. Does this course at Usyd allow me to do this?

rx34

HSC
Usually when you are doing a double degree (comm/sci), you will not have enough space to do a double major. However, if you were just doing the commerce degree alone, you can do a double major. For law/comm, we are not allowed to do a double major in commerce. So my answer is no, Usyd won't let you do it either.

YOu can always email the commerce staff and ask them for precise answer.

phagocyte

HSC
Thanks for ur answer rx34

I also still would like answers from anybody else because I need to know asap. I also emailed usyd and is still waiting for their slow reply...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Yes, provided you have enough room for all required units to satisfy each major to a bare minimum, it is certainly possible to double major in commerce. You should be able to get four majors in Comm/Sci. I am in my 4th year in this course and am on track to get four majors (2 from science + 2 from commerce) at the moment.
The main obstacle is that if you intend to do a commerce major that requires additional first year prerequisites on top of the compulsory core units, then you might run out of room. However, if you major in areas which have first year prerequisites already being the compulsory core units (such as Accounting, Finance, Economics) then you should have enough room to fit four majors.

The reason that Comm/Law doesn't allow it is probably because the law units take up too much room to permit a second major.

tanna

HSC
Trebla's right on the money. But I e-mailed them a while back, and here are my replies from both faculties:

Dear Tanya,

as stated on the webpage of the actual degree: http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/courses/FH034,

you will need to complete at least 96 credit points from the Faculty of E&B and will therefore be able to complete a major or an extended major in the Commerce part of your degree.

7 units are core - 42 credit point + one major is 36 credit points, which equals to 78 credit points. 96 minus 78 is 18, ie. not sufficient amount to gain another major which requires at least 36 credit points.

I assume that similar credit points apply to majors for the Science part of this degree - as only one major is mentioned in the Bachelor of Science component at the above webpage, however we cannot provide you with advise about the programs of the Faculty of Science, so we strongly advise you to check this with the Faculty of Science directly.
Dear Tanya,

I have forgotten to mention, that you will have 48 credit points left in your overall credit of 240 for the whole degree, and therefore you can either complete a second major in the Commerce part, but probably not another second major in the Science part of your degree. However, as I stated we are not familiar with the degree structures of the B/Sci, so please contact the Faculty of Science to find out if you do complete two majors in the B/Com part of your double degree - taking up 114 credit points from your overall credit points, if you will be able to complete two majors within the 126 credit points left.

I hope this information is of help to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Student Information Office if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
Vlasta Haub
Dear Tanya,

Thank you for your inquiry.

It may be possible to complete two majors, although it could be difficult to plan due to timetable clashes and prerequisites for the majors (which might use a lot of the credit point quota you have). If you have two majors in mind, we could see if it will fit in your degree given the credit points you have in your science degree.

If you are a student, you can see an Associate Dean to help with planning out your degree.
You can also check the Faculty of Science 2010 Handbook to see what you need to complete which major: http://www.usyd.edu.au/handbooks/handbooks_admin/science.shtml

Please contact us if you have further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,
Winnie

Last edited:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
ohhh WTF!!

i thought we could double major in both!!!! its the same number of units isnt it?!

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, provided you have enough room for all required units to satisfy each major to a bare minimum, it is certainly possible to double major in commerce. You should be able to get four majors in Comm/Sci. I am in my 4th year in this course and am on track to get four majors (2 from science + 2 from commerce) at the moment.
The main obstacle is that if you intend to do a commerce major that requires additional first year prerequisites on top of the compulsory core units, then you might run out of room. However, if you major in areas which have first year prerequisites already being the compulsory core units (such as Accounting, Finance, Economics) then you should have enough room to fit four majors.

The reason that Comm/Law doesn't allow it is probably because the law units take up too much room to permit a second major.

this is what i want to do!!!
human resources, marketing, psychology and either pharmacology/physiology. i think i worked out a way to do it, but im still confused/not sure.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...y-do-4-majors-my-science-commerce-degree.html

i made that thread about it lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)