Help please! Comparative Study of Texts and Contexts Essay (1 Viewer)

tarnished

HSC
N/A
"Explain how studying these texts together deepens our understanding of both the texts themselves, and also of the worlds they explore".

That's the essay question, and we're expected to write 1000-1200 words (~3 pages) for it. X.x

The two texts are "Heart of Darkness" and "Apocalypse Now", the former an attack on European colonialism of the 1890s and the latter a critique of American interventionism in Vietnam in the 1960/70s. I know I should talk about context, obviously, in this question and how European colonialism and American interventionism, despite being distinct, have a similar imperialist, exploitative core and hypocritical veneer of philanthropy. But for some reason my mind won't formulate an essay. And I'm expected to answer a similar essay question in an exam in one week. D:

Help please? How should I format my essay? In general, what are the elements do you think a good essay for Comparative Study of Contexts and Texts possesses?

ANY HELP WILL BE GRATEFULLY AND GRACIOUSLY ACCEPTED. (*caps lock spasm*)

lychnobity

HSC
STRUCTURE:

Intro
Theme 1
Context's effect

Theme 2
Context effect

Repeat as necessary

Conclusion

And stop whining, I had to do 3000 words on Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now.

Re: elements? What do you mean? I'm thinking a sustained, strong response, appropriately selected examples + analysis. Integrated relation to the effect of context, and a comparison of the two texts (this is where you gain the marks - how are they similar/different? And why? Innovation/originality is key here)

On re-reading your essay question, they want a PERSONAL response. Give them one. GET AN OPINION. EXPRESS IT.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: DON'T BE BORING.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)