HELP PLEASE, I'm very indecisive and need to make a decision now (1 Viewer)

Maraos

HSC
Hi,
I've just moved over to year 11 and I've had my first week of school. On the first day back I changed one of my subjects (Engineering Studies) to Ancient history. I wasn't sure if i made the right decision, so i changed again to Business studies I'm still not sure if i have made the right decision. I have spoken to alot of people but I really don't know what i should do, ive heard that business studies is boring but easy, and that history is interesting but not very useful.... PLEASE HELP, my possible choices include;
Ancient History, Modern History, Business Studies and Economics (although I don't think eco's is a good idea since i never did commerce)
My other subjects include;
Physics
Chemistry
3 unit Maths
2 Unit accelerated maths
Design and Technology
English Advanced

Also should i take into consideration skills that i might need in the future (ie: how to run a company, finance e.t.c) or just pursue the subjects that interest me?
HELP!!

Last edited:

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
This is totally my opinion btw
- I did ancient for a little bit, and I hated it
- I love modern, and depending on what topics it's a great subject - it's really more about the argument than the content btw
- no idea @ business studies; lel seems boring tbh
- I didn't do eco, but most people seem to enjoy it + it seems very interesting + I wouldn't worry about commerce; i doubt it would disadvantage you, people said the same thing about legal studies and commerce and i've never had any issues despite not doing commerce
- imo do what you think you'd enjoy - but if i were you i'd pick between eco and modern and if you cant decide flip a coin
Again this is totally my very subjective opinion lol

turntaker

HSC
Economics scales well but is much harder than business. I'd suggest doing the one that interests you the most and not worry about the scaling of the subject as you are already doing content heavy subjects.

You will probably drop one subject at the end of the year since you will be on 13 units. So it doesn't hurt to pick something you like.

Maraos

HSC
This is totally my opinion btw
- I did ancient for a little bit, and I hated it
- I love modern, and depending on what topics it's a great subject - it's really more about the argument than the content btw
- no idea @ business studies; lel seems boring tbh
- I didn't do eco, but most people seem to enjoy it + it seems very interesting + I wouldn't worry about commerce; i doubt it would disadvantage you, people said the same thing about legal studies and commerce and i've never had any issues despite not doing commerce
- imo do what you think you'd enjoy - but if i were you i'd pick between eco and modern and if you cant decide flip a coin
Again this is totally my very subjective opinion lol
Thanks for the advice, I've heard that Modern history has more secondary sources and in general is harder than ancient, since I'm already doing pretty difficult subjects (and time consuming) would you recommend ancient? I did a few days of Ancient and it seems like some parts are really pointless and boring and others are really interesting (eg Pompeii).

si2136

HSC
N/A
It doesn't matter. Try reading some textbooks based on both subjects and see which one interests you more.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I've never found modern anywhere near as boring as I did ancient (albeit I only did ancient for like 2 weeks)
I think difficulty is relative; realistically, if it's more enjoyable than ancient than it will be easier. Plus I don't think either is significantly more time consuming than the other

I personally found it much more engaging to play with things that happened within the last 200ish years versus looking into people you have no real cultural empathy with, if you know what i mean.

mollytee

HSC
Hey, I'm in year 11 too and I happen to be doing Modern, Ancient, Business and Economics so hopefully I can help a bit. I personally love all my subjects so far but I would have to say I find business slightly dry. Basically the whole course is rote learning.

Modern is definitely a time consuming course from what I've heard but still a really interesting one. I'd say ask what topics your year is doing and decide from there. I'm doing the Civil Rights Movement and Arab-Israeli Conflict. Also, if essays aren't your favourite thing, then I'd say consider something else.

Economics is actually really interesting as well but harder to grasp concepts. Considering your other subjects, you seem like someone who would enjoy Eco. Don't stress about not having done commerce in junior years. I didn't and I'm tagging along fine. Also, I think it's only one essay in the HSC? (Not sure) But definitely less writing than Modern if that's what you prefer. Scales well too.

With ancient history, I didn't initially choose it but ended up getting it due to timetable clashes. Coincidentally, I'm really enjoying it and find it complements my other subjects well. A lot of people may find it boring and pointless (so did I at first) so if after reading through the syllabus, that's how you feel, obviously don't choose it.

I hope I gave you some insight into the subjects. I personally feel like you should narrow it down to Modern History and Economics. Go with your gut. Good luck and don't overthink it!

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Hey, I'm in year 11 too and I happen to be doing Modern, Ancient, Business and Economics so hopefully I can help a bit. I personally love all my subjects so far but I would have to say I find business slightly dry. Basically the whole course is rote learning.

Modern is definitely a time consuming course from what I've heard but still a really interesting one. I'd say ask what topics your year is doing and decide from there. I'm doing the Civil Rights Movement and Arab-Israeli Conflict. Also, if essays aren't your favourite thing, then I'd say consider something else.

Economics is actually really interesting as well but harder to grasp concepts. Considering your other subjects, you seem like someone who would enjoy Eco. Don't stress about not having done commerce in junior years. I didn't and I'm tagging along fine. Also, I think it's only one essay in the HSC? (Not sure) But definitely less writing than Modern if that's what you prefer. Scales well too.

With ancient history, I didn't initially choose it but ended up getting it due to timetable clashes. Coincidentally, I'm really enjoying it and find it complements my other subjects well. A lot of people may find it boring and pointless (so did I at first) so if after reading through the syllabus, that's how you feel, obviously don't choose it.

I hope I gave you some insight into the subjects. I personally feel like you should narrow it down to Modern History and Economics. Go with your gut. Good luck and don't overthink it!
Aw I miss civil rights movement, I wrote (imo :spin: ) an amazing speech for it back in very early yr 11 (wow it seems so long ago but it was only a year ago lol)

mollytee

HSC
Aw I miss civil rights movement, I wrote (imo :spin: ) an amazing speech for it back in very early yr 11 (wow it seems so long ago but it was only a year ago lol)
Hahah, can I ask how you're liking history extension?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Well, my teacher is a little (a lot) overkill so there's a lot of reading involved, but your experience may vary in that regards, but overall I like it.
The focus is very different though, and there's very little of what you would conventionally call 'content' (which imo is a plus), and its very very conceptual.
Honestly it's a bit hit or miss whether you'd enjoy it or not lol, its pretty niche

mollytee

HSC
Well, my teacher is a little (a lot) overkill so there's a lot of reading involved, but your experience may vary in that regards, but overall I like it.
The focus is very different though, and there's very little of what you would conventionally call 'content' (which imo is a plus), and its very very conceptual.
Honestly it's a bit hit or miss whether you'd enjoy it or not lol, its pretty niche
From what I've heard and what you're telling me now, it actually sounds like something I would really enjoy. Thankyaa :spin:

englass

HSC
ATM I'm doing prelim business studies and I quite enjoy it, but its up to your likes and intrests

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
The easiest way to describe the course is to look at it on three different focuses of history subjects

1. Content level; what actually happened. Mostly factual information and content. This is all you're really expected to do in junior school tbh
2. Argument level; what you think about what happened and why. This is the crux of Modern History and once you understand this, life becomes a lot easier
3. Historiographical; what you think and why about what historians think about what happened and why. This is essentially the history extension course in a nutshell. Not really needed but can be useful at the 2nd level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)