Help please with uni preferences! (UTS ur UNSW for Business/Commerce with Cadetship) (1 Viewer)

jared_88

HSC
Hey guys I know this has sought of been dealt with in the past but I have a decision to make. I have a cadetship in accountancy for next year, which will mean I will work full time during the week and then attend university part-time at night. Now at the moment I have my first preference as B Business at UTS. I put this down for several reasons:
*As it is the most convenient university to get to from the city after work (as I live in the Western Suburbs and have a cadetship in the city, so I need to choose a uni close to home or work for logistics).
*The fact they actually offer most of their subjects (from the accounting and finance majors) at night time, as opposed to other unversities such as UNSW.
*Because I know that it is a very good university as my sister currently studies a B Business there
*Because I didn't think I would get a high enough UAI to get into a B Commerce at UNSW.

Ok now I recieved my UAI yesterday and was stoked with the excellent result of 96.30. Now here is the catch, I'm thinking about my preferences and am thinking about changing my first preference to a B Commerce at UNSW, for the following reasons:
*As it offers a more theoretical curriculum with a higher focus on the Quantative side of Commerce/Business (as I love maths and did 3U Maths at school).
*As I have a high enough UAI to get into this course.
*It means that if I change my mind later on I can change one of my majors to Actuarial Studies (as I was thinking of studying this before I got my accountancy cadetship)

I know that UTS is the uni choice that makes the most sense (as my parents have advised me), especially since I will have a far easier time commuting their from work and home compared to UNSW, but changing my first preference to UNSW is SOOOOOO tempting. So I guess what I am asking you all is for advice, does anyone else from the Western suburbs have a cadetship in accountancy and attend UNSW or UTS? What do you think I should do? Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me make this decision?

Thankyou all for taking the time to read this post (and sorry it was so long, as I had a lot to explain lol).

Cheers,
Jared

pmtruong

HSC
ey jared im in basically the same situation as u are in with a uai of 96.55 but im likin the practicality and convenience of uts. Also alotta employers recognise this fact and seein as u already have secured a job u wont need unsw for its supposed repuation and prestige. Once u graduate you will have 3 years of work experience and goin on to undertake the chartered accountants qualification so even if u decide to move firms or wateva u still have very strong credentials and will be very employable. I also think more cadetship takers wood go for uts and i rather be in classes with people in the same sitaution as me. Also readin ur post makes me realise u shoodn choose a course jus becoz ur uai can get u into it or u think ur wasting ur uai. I also was considerin unsw and even bus law at uts merely coz of my uai. For me convenience plays a massive role. If unsw swapped locations with uts i wood definately choose it. But for me uts from Deloitte is only a 3 min or so ride down george street with buses comin all the time. Or i cood train from wynyard 2 central. This is opposed to 15-20 mins to unsw on packed buses. I dunno if i cood b bothered to go all the way there after work and bak. Also from the open days there seems to be a more diverse mix of people at uts as oposed to the countless international students at unsw. Also alot of the uts course has practical groop work which i like. In the end they r both excellent choices for ppl on cadetships but i wood choose UTS. What do others think? Btw i think ive met u ..u were at horwath groop interview and i think i met u while u were talking to my friend carlo jus outside the uts accounting lecture? is that u?

rubin

HSC
Choose the most convenient one. Both will provide you with a good education. Forget about 'prestige' of the uni in commerce. Unlike, say law where there is a huge oversupply of grads, it is not that relevant to employers in accounting. Marks/ work experience etc are the most important as i understand it.

konstantine'

HSC
Re: Help please with uni preferences! (UTS ur UNSW for Business/Commerce with Cadetsh

im choosing uts over unsw. ive changed my mind a couple of times but everytime i just seem to end up thinking uts is better for cadetships. at the info day they also said uts receives the largest number of cadets than any other unis and im thinking after work ill be tired as and having to bus it to unsw will piss the hell out of me ... btw pmtruong, is this carlo from fort street? haha

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Help please with uni preferences! (UTS ur UNSW for Business/Commerce with Cadetsh

Without saying anything about the quality of the courses, one thing I would note is that you should not change purely because UNSW has a higher UAI cut-off. Don't feel that you are somehow "wasting" your UAI.

c0okies

HSC

HI JARED

im also considering uts/unsw, and jus wanted to give my input..

1. we'll be in an environment where students are smarter and more cultured; people who work or worked harder

2. yes, unsw may also seem to have alot of international students;; but we’re part-time students so there will be more cadet students, and less chance becoming monocultured.

3. i know people who have gone to unsw, who have a cadetship, and have coped, and graduated with a degree

4. if you like maths maybe you should invest your interest in actuarial studies, keep your options open; its high in demand and thats where alot of the big bucks lie. but remember, actuarial studies has a high-dropout rate and can be alot of work.

6. you shouldnt just take into account that uts is closer; 20 mins travel could mean you're getting a better education and the fact that the standard of academics in students is higher (higher uai cutoff, and attracts smarter students due to its reputation) means that you're placed in an environment where you want to do a bit better (i.e. more motivation in study to make life easier at work.)

7. a cadetship is hard work and going to a university a bit further away COULD increase your chances of giving up. but if you've made the choice of taking up a cadetship, you're up for the hard work and a bit more travel shouldn’t mean anything to you.

8. if you know carlo, then i know you too ;) cos i was at gt haha

cheers

Last edited:

jared_88

HSC

pmtruong said:
ey jared im in basically the same situation as u are in with a uai of 96.55 but im likin the practicality and convenience of uts. Also alotta employers recognise this fact and seein as u already have secured a job u wont need unsw for its supposed repuation and prestige. Once u graduate you will have 3 years of work experience and goin on to undertake the chartered accountants qualification so even if u decide to move firms or wateva u still have very strong credentials and will be very employable. I also think more cadetship takers wood go for uts and i rather be in classes with people in the same sitaution as me. Also readin ur post makes me realise u shoodn choose a course jus becoz ur uai can get u into it or u think ur wasting ur uai. I also was considerin unsw and even bus law at uts merely coz of my uai. For me convenience plays a massive role. If unsw swapped locations with uts i wood definately choose it. But for me uts from Deloitte is only a 3 min or so ride down george street with buses comin all the time. Or i cood train from wynyard 2 central. This is opposed to 15-20 mins to unsw on packed buses. I dunno if i cood b bothered to go all the way there after work and bak. Also from the open days there seems to be a more diverse mix of people at uts as oposed to the countless international students at unsw. Also alot of the uts course has practical groop work which i like. In the end they r both excellent choices for ppl on cadetships but i wood choose UTS. What do others think? Btw i think ive met u ..u were at horwath groop interview and i think i met u while u were talking to my friend carlo jus outside the uts accounting lecture? is that u?
Yea pmtroung I know who you are, we were talking about which offers we took up and you took Horwath (which now is merged with Deloitte) and I took Grant Thornton. Congrats on ur HSC u did heaps well, thanks for the advice dude it was very helpful, and good luck for next year!

And cookies I think I remember you from Grant Thornton, did u end up getting an offer with a company? What will u be studying next year, Good luck with everything for the year coming! And thanks for the advice.

And thanks everyone on the whole for your advice its definately some food for thought (I've got alot of thinking to do) lol

Last edited:

c0okies

HSC

oh haha; i didnt end up doing the actual interview.. just the exam :)

working at ey next year, planning on studying commerce@unsw.

Good luck to you too! and have a good think before january 4th, try the career days (jan 3rd and 4th) and the good university guide (said before).

jared_88

HSC

c0okies said:
oh haha; i didnt end up doing the actual interview.. just the exam :)

working at ey next year, planning on studying commerce@unsw.

Good luck to you too! and have a good think before january 4th, try the career days (jan 3rd and 4th) and the good university guide (said before).
Congrats on getting the cadetship with Ernst & Young I'm sure you'll do very well there, as well as at UNSW. Yea I have got a lot of thinking to do before Jan. 4 lol I'll see what happens.

xxPanDa

HSC

whats the differnece between commerce and business??

jared_88

HSC

xxPanDa said:
whats the differnece between commerce and business??
I think Commerce is slightly more partial to quantitative skills than Business (My way of understanding it is that Commerce is part way between Business and Economics... correct me if I'm wrong)

j2i2z

HSC

i thought they were preeti much the same, just a different name. Also UNSW's commerce offers more majors. Dun hold this agenst me, havent checked

pmtruong

HSC

ey jared! good job u got a great uai as well. Im gonna go to the advisory days as well jus incase. Also i think commerce and business r the same except commerce is more theoretical...but in the end it has to be pretty similar as they both fulfil the CA requirements. Konstantine yes my friend carlo is from fort street..yeh bit of a comedian. And cookies carlo didnt take gt either kpmg insted.Look forward 2 ceein all u guys nex yr

c0okies

HSC

j2i2z said:
i thought they were preeti much the same, just a different name. Also UNSW's commerce offers more majors. Dun hold this agenst me, havent checked
yea i think you're right; economics@unsw is about the same as commerce@unsw cept there are less majors to choose from? i think. (correct me if im wrong)

case88

HSC
hey guys, this is just the thread i was looking for. i'm also planning to do a cadetship at EY and am really confused. i was all set to go to UTS but then i was offered a scholarship at UNSW andUSYD. Now i'm all confused. i've scratched USYD off the list but now don't know whether to stick to UTS or take the road to UNSW. i'm also sort of worried about the travel after work but the scholarship seems sort of lucrative, especially combined with the traineeship at ey. argh.
EY + UTS = no scholarship
EY + UNSW = hectic travel (but with scholarship + traineeship)
USYD = no EY

konstantine'

HSC

man id def go for unsw! scholarship!!! i think you'll get used to the travel esp if there's extra incentive, which there is.

c0okies

HSC

lol WHAT? you got a SCHOLARSHIP, just take the extra travel ;)

xxPanDa

HSC

awww is it too late to get a scholarship now?
a scholarship would really finalise my decision

case88

HSC
cool, that sorta helped me out. i've just been thinking whether it'd be too hectic/tiring to work, travel and study (as well as maintain an average of 80% in order to keep the scholarship going), but i gues i should give it a shot

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)