Help, Please! (1 Viewer)

Sorrow

HSC
N/A
These questions have probably been asked a million times before, but no matter which thread I look at, and who I talk to, like my teachers, I just don't understand it.

I've had a few assessment tasks in the first term, and I am really scared that my UAI is completely ruined now.

I did really bad in my first 2U Maths test; i.e, less than 50%, and only between 70-80% for my first Advanced English Assessment. I haven't got my marks back for Physics, but I usually do well in Physics, and I'm pretty sure I got over 80%. I also did a Software Assessment, and I really don't know how I went, I'm pretty sure its below 70%. I don't know for IPT, probably 70-85%, but I know I completely ruined my Biology Assessment, definitely between 50-60%, or less. These tasks were all worth 15%, except for Software, which was 10%.

My question is; can I possibly even get close to a UAI of 90. I've heard students have done well, and only started doing well after their half-yearlies. I've also heard that people have done relatively well in all their internal school Assessments, but didn't do too well in the final exams, and received a moderate UAI (below 80 or so).

I'm really worried, and my parents are really intimidating about receiving a high UAI, at least over 85. The reason I did so bad in my first Assessments was I procrastinated, and I was really afraid of doing them. I can do better, but I was just too intimidated by my first Assessments, and was trying to do them far too quantitatively, and qualitatively at the same time. Also, I'm not going well in 2U Maths at all, I haven't ever passed an Assessment. I'm worried that if I go down to General Maths, it will scale me down too much to get near a UAI of 90 even if I get above 80-90s for all the tasks.

Could someone please enlighten me about my situation, I have no idea now about my UAI. I won't be making the same mistakes for my next Assessments as I did with my first, but I just want to know, if I didn't do to well in my first tasks, does it affect everything else?

Note - My school isn't high ranked either.

I just have pressure from my parents, teachers and peers; all who expect me to do well, and mock me if I don't (save the teachers). Any responses would be really helpful! :(

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Yes, it is indeed possible to get a UAI of 90 and above, you just need to work on your assignments and get the high ranks, and then perform well in the external exams.

Don't worry about the scaling of general maths, if you do wel in it then you can easily get a UAI above 90 with it. The highest UAI in the 2006 cohort by a person doing general maths was above 99, not sure of the exact UAI, but well above 90.

As long as you get the high ranks in later assessments and get a high overall rank in your subject, and do well in the external exams, then your first assessments won't matter that much.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Don't stress! That's only the first of your assessment task and you learn your lesson on studying (or in your case not studying) early so you won't make the same mistakes again. It's only rank that really matters

As for general maths and it's scaling, if you work hard enough you can achieve a band 6. I know of people doing general maths who got UAIs of high 90s.

I also think your underestimating your friends, family and teachers. They like you will be thrilled with your result, knowing all the effort you put in and congratulating you on getting the best result you can. And if they really are like that don't listen to them, motivate yourself and go for it!

:D

RayMonda

HSC
N/A
Looks like the max UAI for general maths student was 99.75 ...... pretty good!! :)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Don't put too much stress on Internal School Assessments (Especially your first ones done in year 11 term 4) this is due to the fact that School Internal Exams = 50% of your HSC mark, the other 50% comes from your HSC Exams itself.

In other words say your 4unit Extension English has an assessment worth 15% - Speech. What it's really worth is half that --> 7.5%

Don't be put down :) Use the assessments/exams at school merely as practice towards your HSC exams, I used to use my Trial HSC as a 'trial' to test out whether my techniques + study periods worked well.;)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Eh term 4 is when year 12 (HSC) starts. Year 11 (preliminary) only goes for 3 terms.

But I agree with what everyone else has posted. What's done is done time to move on.

Rekkusu

HSC
Yup that's what I wanted to imply :)

Technically though you're still treated as Year 11 in term 4 =P But assessment/exam marks count from there ;)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Technically I guess as teachers still are helping year 12 with studying for HSC exams.

Rekkusu

HSC
Quite right again! *Technically speaking lol*

Anyway, even for HSC students, Teachers don't really cancel all their classes just to see you for help. Though all the classes they did have in operation in Terms 1,2,3 will be times where you can seek help from a teacher.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Technically though you're still treated as Year 11 in term 4 =P But assessment/exam marks count from there ;)
Well, technically you still are in your 11th year of school :) .

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Hi Sorrow,

I feel for you. A few words of advice (which you can promptly ignore if you want).

I agree, don't stress. You know why you did badly, so don't do it again. make sure you don't procrastinate (see my Avvie <--- *snigger*) and study as you go along.

Also, don't put so much stress on yourself as this could make you ill and then you;d miss school and stress yourself more. Seriously, take it easy and do YOUR best. For others to expect more than that is unrealistic and unfair on you. You should pretty much know where you stand in the scheme of things from how well you did over the last 5 years at school. Is a 90 UAI realistic? If it is, then work hard towards it. If it isn't, set yourself a realistic goal and tell others what that goal is so they can support you to it.

Remember, a UAI of 90 does not mean you have to get 90% in everything.

If a subject is too hard, then drop down to a comfortable level. You may then excel at the easier subject and bump up your UAI. I think of my hubby who did really well in the second 3U maths class; so well they put him in the top class and it was too fast for him and he did badly and was glad to drop back to his comfort level again.

Assessment weightings increase as the year goes by. Those first assessments are not weighted so much. It is better to do your BEST in the later assessments which are weighted more heavily. Naturally, it is BEST to do your BEST at all times, but I say this so you know that all is not lost. You can make it up.

Are you procrastinating because of how intimidated you feel about doing well? I could understand it if you were - the old "if I don't try and do badly, then it doesn't mean I'm dumb but if I try and do badly then I'm dumb" thing. Like I said before, be realistic, sit your parents down and explain it to them (they will understand) or talk to a School Councillor and have them help you explain it to your parents. It is important you feel supported this next year and not at odds with those around you.

Good luck and I hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)