help please (1 Viewer)

plumo89

could anyone please give some information or thoughts on he following:

command lines

file naming conventions, file extensions, directories (folders), drives (including network drives), enterprise standards for documents

third party documentation

filing conventions

file formats :
RTF
DIF
TXT
PNG
GIF
JPEG
(WHAT THEY R FOR AND STAND FOR)

audit trails

format for letter (the placement of the organisations and clients address)

PABX

STD

^___^
HSC
wowowowow..take it easy buster...
hmm..

std??
*thinks sexually transmitted disease*

GIF= Graphic interchange format
JPEG=Joint photographic Experts group
TXT=Text

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
look at my glossary of terms on my website it has all of them in their.
Also look at the assessment 4 Integrate commercial computing packages

Winston

HSC
RTF
DIF
TXT
PNG
GIF
JPEG

Rich Text Format

Data Interchange Format

Text

Portable Network Graphics

Graphical Interchange Format

Joint Photography Experts Group

plumo89

tHATS WHAT I THOUGHT WHILE GOING THROUGH THE SYLLABUSITS IN THE 'RECEIVE AND PROCESS ORAL AND WRITTEN COMMUNICATION'

puffkenny

HSC
lol, mate, can you turn ur capslock off while you type? this medium of communication can be misleading as we cannot observe your body languages....the sender enodes the message into the medium of text message which is sent thru the channel of internet and the receiver decodes that message in English gives feedback to the sender....the sender will observe the feedback and the process may go on by the sender posting a reply to this thread....
YES!!! I'VE MASTERED COMMUNICATION IN AN IT WORKPLACE!!!!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by puffkenny
lol, mate, can you turn ur capslock off while you type? this medium of communication can be misleading as we cannot observe your body languages....the sender enodes the message into the medium of text message which is sent thru the channel of internet and the receiver decodes that message in English gives feedback to the sender....the sender will observe the feedback and the process may go on by the sender posting a reply to this thread....
YES!!! I'VE MASTERED COMMUNICATION IN AN IT WORKPLACE!!!!
it was accidental

coz his first letter was a lower case :p...

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
Cut:
To remove an object from a document and place it in a buffer. In word processing, for example, cut means to move a section of text from a document to a temporary buffer. This is one way to delete text. However, because the text is transferred to a buffer, it is not lost forever. You can copy the buffer somewhere else in the document or in another document, which is called pasting. To move a section of text from one place to another, therefore, you need to first cut it and then paste it. This is often called cut-and- paste.

Copy:
To copy a piece of data to a temporary location. In word processing, for example, copying refers to duplicating a section of a document and placing it in a buffer (sometimes called a clipboard). The term copy differs from cut, which refers to actually removing a section of a document and placing it in a buffer. After cutting or copying, you can move the contents of the buffer by pasting it somewhere else.

Paste:
To copy an object from a buffer (or clipboard) to a file. In word processing, blocks of text are moved from one place to another by cutting and pasting. When you cut a block of text, the word processor removes the block from your file and places it in a temporary holding area (a buffer). You can then paste the material in the buffer somewhere else.

Clipboard:
A special file or memory area (buffer) where data is stored temporarily before being copied to another location. Many word processors, for example, use a clipboard for cutting and pasting. When you cut a block of text, the word processor copies the block to the clipboard; when you paste the block, the word processor copies it from the clipboard to its final destination. In Microsoft Windows and the Apple Macintosh operating system, the Clipboard (with a capital C) can be used to copy data from one application to another.

Temporary files:

Embedded objects:
In word processing, an embedded command is a sequence of special characters inserted into a document that affects the formatting of the document when it is printed. For example, when you change fonts in a word processor (by specifying bold type), the word processor inserts an embedded command that causes the printer to change fonts. Embedded commands can also control the display screen, causing it to display blinking characters or produce other special effects. Embedded commands are usually invisible when you edit a file, but many word processors support a special mode that lets you see these commands.

OLE:
Abbreviation of Object Linking and Embedding, pronounced as separate letters or as oh-leh. OLE is a compound document standard developed by Microsoft Corporation. It enables you to create objects with one application and then link or embed them in a second application. Embedded objects retain their original format and links to the application that created them.

linked objects
To paste a copy of an object into a document in such a way that it retains its connection with the original object. Updates to the original object can be reflected in the duplicate by updating the link. In spreadsheet programs, linking refers to the ability of a worksheet to take its data for particular cells from another worksheet. Two or more files are thus linked by common cells.

Import
To use data produced by another application in a second application. The ability to import data is very important in software applications because it means that one application can complement another. Many programs, for example, are designed to be able to import graphics in a variety of formats.

Export:
To format data in such a way that it can be used by another application. An application that can export data can create a file in a format that another application understands, enabling the two programs to share the same data. The two programs might be different types of word processors, or one could be a word processor while the other could be a database management system.

Source file:
A place from which data is taken. Many computer commands involve moving data. The place from which the data is moved is called the source, whereas the place it is moved to is called the destination or target. If you copy a file from one directory to another, for example, you copy it from the source directory to the destination directory. The source and destination can be files, directories, or devices (that is, printers or storage devices).

Destination file
Many computer commands move data from one file to another or from one storage device to another. This is referred to as moving the data from the source to the destination (or target). The term is also used as an adjective, as in destination file or destination device .

.rtf: Rich Text File
A standard formalized by Microsoft Corporation for specifying formatting of documents. RTF files are actually ASCII files with special commands to indicate formatting information, such as fonts and margins. Other document formatting languages include the Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), which is used to define documents on the World Wide Web, and the Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML), which is a more robust version of HTML.

.gif: Graphics Interchange Format
Pronounced jiff or giff (hard g) stands for graphics interchange format, a bit-mapped graphics file format used by the World Wide Web, CompuServe and many BBSs. GIF supports color and various resolutions. It also includes data compression, but because it is limited to 256 colors, it is more effective for scanned images such as illustrations rather than color photos.

.txt: Text
A file saved as a text file is referred to .txt therefore there isnt any formatting just plain text.

.png: Portable Networks Graphics
Short for Portable Network Graphics, and pronounced ping, a new bit-mapped graphics format similar to GIF. In fact, PNG was approved as a standard by the World Wide Web consortium to replace GIF because GIF uses a patented data compression algorithm called LZW. In contrast, PNG is completely patent- and license-free. The most recent versions of Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer now support PNG.

.Jpeg: Joint Photographic Experts Group
Short for Joint Photographic Experts Group, and pronounced jay-peg. JPEG is a lossy compression technique for color images. Although it can reduce files sizes to about 5% of their normal size, some detail is lost in the compression.

Filters
A program that accepts a certain type of data as input, transforms it in some manner, and then outputs the transformed data. For example, a program that sorts names is a filter because it accepts the names in unsorted order, sorts them, and then outputs the sorted names. Utilities that allow you to import or export data are also sometimes called filters.

puffkenny

HSC
for the buffer/clipboard, you can store 12 items there
as for embedded objects, i've got teh definition off webopedia and it seems to points more towards the OLE you've mentioned:

An object created with one application and embedded into a document created by another application. Embedding the object, rather than simply inserting or pasting it, ensures that the object retains its original format. In fact, you can modify the embedded object with the original program. In Windows environments, embedding objects is made possible by a technology called OLE

im abit confused now

-X-

HSC
N/A
Whats an "audit trace" and "Audit trail" ?

^___^
HSC
OLE:
Abbreviation of Object Linking and Embedding, pronounced as separate letters or as oh-leh. OLE is a compound document standard developed by Microsoft Corporation. It enables you to create objects with one application and then link or embed them in a second application. Embedded objects retain their original format and links to the application that created them.

edit: thanks to Andrew for this...

puffkenny

HSC
Hey I've got another question. I know how disk fragmentation works, do I have to know how defragmentation works?? If so, can some one give me an idea of how defragmentation works??

Andrew_Blackwel

I Teach this subject
HSC
N/A
there is no such thing as defragmentation. A lot of students get confused with fragmentation and DEFRAG. U should by now know waht DEFRAG is and here is the definition of the other

(1) Refers to the condition of a disk in which files are divided into pieces scattered around the disk. Fragmentation occurs naturally when you use a disk frequently, creating, deleting, and modifying files. At some point, the operating system needs to store parts of a file in noncontiguous clusters. This is entirely invisible to users, but it can slow down the speed at which data is accessed because the disk drive must search through different parts of the disk to put together a single file.
In DOS 6.0 and later systems, you can defragment a disk with the DEFRAG command. You can also buy software utilities, called disk optimizers or defragmenters, that defragment a disk.

(2) Fragmentation can also refer to RAM that has small, unused holes scattered throughout it. This is called external fragmentation. With modern operating systems that use a paging scheme, a more common type of RAM fragmentation is internal fragmentation. This occurs when memory is allocated in frames and the frame size is larger than the amount of memory requested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)